Advice Needed

Discussion in 'SP2' started by elenachatilla, May 8, 2007.

1. elenachatilla

elenachatilla Member

I've only just finished CA1 and CA3 and I am starting to think about sitting ST2 in September...however with summer holidays and work I don't know how much time I am going to have to study - I know, I should prioritise! Obviously this subject doesn't require as much elbow resting as CA1, but how different is it? How long does it take to go through the core reading/ActEd notes?
    Any advice is welcome!:eek:

2. Rosencruz

Rosencruz Member

There are about 35 chapters, most of it is wordy, but there are a couple of technical areas (eg actuarial funding).
    I think it depends on your experience. If you have broad understanding of Life insurance, then it should be ok (although I currently waiting to hear results).
    I've just done ST2 and 5 over the winter period, so I would guess that ST2 should be achievable over the summer. However, that depends on the effort put in...Will you take your notes on holiday?
    Seriously I don't think it is too difficult, especially if you think you've passed CA1

3. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

Agreed, if you're working in Life and if you've done CA1 it's a (relative) "walk in the park" compared to CA1. About 1/3 of it is very similar to CA1. The Core Reading looks very thin if you order it.

What I did, and it certainly gave me a very good understanding of the Core Reading, was to summarise the core reading in each Acted Chapter into 1 or 2 printed pages. Then I went through the whole thing again and ensured that my summaries were completely accurate.

4. elenachatilla

elenachatilla Member

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try anyway if i get CA1! Thanks for the advice on summarising the notes, I usually do that anyway, so it's good to hear I'm not going to be wasting my time. Good luck with the results! :)

5. bystander

bystander Member

I know ST2 is late (4 Oct) but as the CA results aren't until 6 July are you sure you can fit the whole course and sufficient revision & past paper practise into just 3 months? Don't know when your holidays are but if they are in that 3 month window I don't envy you.