Advice Needed- CP3 before doing all core subjects?

Discussion in 'CP3' started by The Student Actuary, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Hello,

I currently have CT1, CT5, CB1, CB2 exams done. I have 2 years' work experience in actuarial work and would like to do the CP3 exam.

Is this doable and would you advise me to do it? Please let me know your thoughts.

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hi
    It is certainly possible to do CP3 at this stage. You might find the scenarios easier to understand with the benefit of having sat the other subjects but usually the key concepts needed are in the advance material which gives time ahead of the exam day to get to grips with the topic. It will be important to do as many past exam questions as possible before the exam, this includes past CP3 'written' questions (as opposed to those which required slides/presentation to be produced).

3. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

In one way it's probably better to do it without knowledge of other subjects, because that way your don't bring outside knowledge into the exam. Everything you need to answer the question should be coming from the paper itself.

Granted for some of the exams it might be nice to know some of the terms before - like stochastic modelling, but it's not often that you get such a technical based exam, and if if the scenario contains those words, you have 3 days before the exam to perhaps read up about them.