Advice for retaking SA subjects

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by garbage_fan, Jun 25, 2006.

1. garbage_fan

garbage_fan Member

Hello everybody

Finding out I failed SA2 Thursday night has finally made me post something here rather than just read everybody else's thoughts. I got an FA and as this is the only exam left between me and qualification I really want to nail the resit in September. What's the best way of going about this?

In particular, what do people who've failed SA subjects before think of the following?
    * Appeal (seems a waste of time)
    * Block Tutorial
    * Exam counselling
    * Wider reading (will this really make a difference?)

Of course I also plan to do loads of practise papers (I did these once already, though admittedly not under exam conditions) and buy ASET and series Y assignments from ActEd.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

2. bystander

bystander Member

Firstly, bad luck. But I assure you, when you do crack it, the success becomes that little bit sweeter.

Exam counselling may be worth it. You will actually come face to face with your script which will bring home any particular weakness. When you've found this out, you can ensure when you do past papers UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS, that you iron the issue out. Given you've passed everything else, it's not likely to be technique you're missing. It's more likely to be say insufficient expansion of ideas. But before you go, do have a look at the actual paper. Try to recall your reactions at the time.

Block tutorials I found useful. Good place to exchange ideas and get you thinker that little bit wider.

Don't think the wider reading necessarily helps but it would give you something fresh to consider. But bear in mind the papers are set something like 18 months earlier.

Not sure they exist for SA2, but the revision booklets I had in retaking general insurance were superb.

All the best next time around. Never mind the cost, the career prospects of being a Fellow well outweigh the short term layout!