Additional qualifications

Discussion in 'Careers' started by JeanOlivier, Aug 13, 2009.

1. JeanOlivier

JeanOlivier Member

Hi,

I wanted to know whether an MBA for an actuary highly regarded?What other qualifications/skill set will be important for an actuary?

2. bystander

bystander Member

I've often wondered too but of these employers I've been with, this isn't something they have been interested in so it would be self funded and boy is that expensive!

I have dabbled in short courses for self interest including one in introductory employment law.

But I think anything that floats your boat should be a possibility. Wouldn't tie into anything I wasn't interested in just to please the boss (current or future) unless of course it was an essential reqt.

3. capitalH

capitalH Member

I have also considered a MBA, but:

I believe the first wave of MBA'ers were go-getters and created a very good reputation for MBA, not because of the MBA, but because of their personality and talent.

The second wave is steadily destroying that reputation, now to benefit from a MBA you need to:

a) graduate from the top schools which still has a good reputation (and they keep their reputation because they filter their students - either through price, i.e. people who have already achieved success or through strict entry criteria)
    b) network - very dependent on the class you are in and who you are paired for assignments with - I have seen that this provided benefits.

Note that this is my personal opinion, and may not even be closely relevant to other countries.

4. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

The learning Bug

Is it me or most people in actuarial seem to up with a learning bug? Seems the drive to go on and on is in most of us:) .

Alternative qualifications might just have to be viewed with what you aim to do with them. If you intend to angle for general management roles a MBA might be useful depending on organisational culture. So I advise you look at what your goal is and see if it will help.

Good learning:)