actuaries vs quants

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Gareth, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

here's an interesting discussion:

http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=795

I found this bit especially amusing:

So is todays new actuary the same, or have we improved?

2. veeko

veeko Member

Quants sit behind a computer doing the "fiendishly complicated maths" Actuaries are supposed to communicate the results of the exercise :)

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

ah now with the invention of mortality and catastrophe derivatives, will the actuary be the natural candidate to start doing the quant maths in an actuarial context, or will we pass this opportunity by?

4. examstudent

examstudent Member

umm....

given the need to deliver practical solutions to clients, you would think that actuarial involvment in this new "quanty" area would still lean towards interpretation/communication of the financial implications, with actuaries playing a limited role in any of the mathematical wizadry required - if any wizadry, sophisticated modelling ever is required i think it would drift toward being the hands of quant types...

but im sure it would take a long time for any robust proceedures to be developed to even contemplate any rocket science/non actuarial approach to such valuations.

5. KatherineH

KatherineH Member

To answer the initial question - yes, we've improved. My boyfriend qualified back in 1987 and he only had to do 10 exams to get his fellowship. Lucky thing. He'd never even heard of half the stuff I study. Which is why I believe that newly qualified actuaries get paid more than ones who qualified yonks ago. And why alot of the job advertisements ask for newly/nearly qualified actuaries.

I believe that the actuarial exams have also started to incorporate more findings from other professions than they ever used to. We used to believe that we knew best and were the be all and end all of the universe. I think now the institute has accepted that other professions may have good theories too.

6. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

Number of exams

In his defence, 6 of those exams consisted of morning and afternoon papers, so that makes 16 papers in total - not quite so lucky when looked at like that. Many students today think it's awful to have to sit two papers on the same day.

I qualified across two exam structures (1 to 6, E-H, Q) and this involved me having to sit 18 exam papers to get my FIA, with no choice of subject except the final fellowship paper. And so that I could still call myself a proper actuary I later sat CiD as well to keep up-to-date. That makes 19 exam papers.

And how many papers do you need to sit under this current system? And how much choice of subjects do you get?

Isn't it odd how everyone thinks they had it toughest?

But at least I don't have any exams in the next few days. (He He :p )
    Hope it goes well for you all, with no nasty surprises.
    At least you get to enjoy the Easter Bank Holidays this year :) .

7. Rosencruz

Rosencruz Member

With respect I work with the programs that have been mentioned in that article, and to be honest, they should have been scrapped in the 80's

The code is archaic, and to be honest actuaries do not make good programers IMHO.
    We are not quants, we deal with the very long term, whereas most quants are interested in the short-term (3-month derivatives etc).
    Most cashflows would now be considered stochastically, but only because it is now practical, in the early 80's the computing power was not sufficient to do this.