Actuaries career

Discussion in 'Careers' started by boypete, Apr 20, 2006.

1. boypete

boypete Member

Hi All,

I am interested to join this exciting career and would like to hear from a few of you.

I am 31 and at the moment teaching at secondary. Had a BSc maths in 1997.

What is the best route to get started?
    Would getting a actuaries trainee position be difficult?

Hope to hear from you soon

please help

thanks

boypete

2. kanch

kanch Member

Hia,

Well the best route would be to start doing the exams as soon as possible by joining either faculty or Instititue of Actuaries (The first stage which is the Core Technical subjects (CT)).Actually if you have done a BSc in maths you might be ( i am not 100% sure) eligible for one or two exemptions which you need to check with the Institue. In the meantime try for an Actuarial Trainee position with an Insurance company or consultancy.

Further details can be found on both the exams and career info in the following links.

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/students/become_student.html

www.insidecareers.co.uk

Best wishes.

Hi All,

I am interested to join this exciting career and would like to hear from a few of you.

I am 31 and at the moment teaching at secondary. Had a BSc maths in 1997.

What is the best route to get started?
    Would getting a actuaries trainee position be difficult?

Hope to hear from you soon

please help

thanks

boypete[/QUOTE]

3. Dha

Dha Member

You probably wont be eligible for any exemptions as your degree is more than 4 years old (I think 4 years is the cut-off?). Perhaps you'd consider sitting some of the technical exams yourself to give you a headstart when you go looking for a job? You should also consider that it could take up 7 or 8 years to finish the exams, and your initial salary may be less than what you're on now.

4. boypete

boypete Member

Re: Actuarial career

Thanks for your responses. I w'd mind taking a lesser pay. i just need to get something more challenging and satisfying. I would apply for trainee positions. I will also join the institude.The fact that i might take up to 8 years is alarning.

Today i spoke to course provider and i am considering taking an MSc in Actuarial science. This exempts me from most of the CT exams. I think its a good idea but will be skinned by the end of course.

Could anyone provide some tips on CV presentation and covering letter

thanks

5. Gareth

Gareth Member

the MSc route will make it harder to find a job

6. Muppet

Muppet Member

not convinced it will be harder to get a job these days with exemptions - but it will be more expensive. And there's no guarantee that you'll get all of the exemptions at the end of the course.

If you have a good degree and A'Levels then there's every chance that you could get a trainee position with someone. I've come across lots of mature students who have started late in life. I suppose that you are more likely to have the right attutude if you are "mature".

Your qualifications will get you an interview with some if you have a good history. Be keen, know what you want.

7. Gareth

Gareth Member

i suspect employers would be more impressed if you just studied for sept and got yourself two CT exams before applying...

plus you will experience first hand what the exams entail, which should help you be sure you want to go down this long road (which you will curse along the way). Studying about 20 hours a week on top of work isn't much fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2006
  8. boypete

boypete Member

Thx to all. I will apply for a trainee position and will consider an Msc if i donot secure a place by August. Any advice or tips on a good cv and covering letter for a trainee position? Help please???. Not sure if i will get it right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  9. Dha

Dha Member

If you've a teacher, then I assume you have a lot of time off in the summer? Perhaps you could do 3 exams in September? The MSc courses tend to be very expensive. If you deal with some of the actuarial recruitment firms, they'll help you with your CV and covering letter.

10. fraggle

fraggle Member

I don't think you will have much difficulty finding a trainee position. I know several "mature" students who have changed career and are getting on well with the exams.

8 years to qualify is longer than average, I guess. I'd say to be realistic think about 5 years or so.

It may be sensible to consider taking an exam in September to show you are committed but I do not think this is essential.

As for your CV, a relevant degree (which you have) and a sign of committment (eg not changing jobs every few months) are the most important. For the covering letter, briefly explain why you want to change career ie for a challenge.

Best of luck

11. boypete

boypete Member

Re: Actuarial career

thks for your contribution. will be sending out my cv for trainee positions.