Actuarial Tables?

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Statmx, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Statmx

Statmx Member

Hi,

I've just started on the CT3 course notes and found that it keeps mentioning the word "on page XX of the Tables". However I couldn't find the tables within the course notes. Is that we need to get it from somewhere else? It might seem to be a very silly queation but I really have no idea where I can find the "Tables".:confused: Could anyone please help?

Many thanks!!:)

2. didster

didster Member

3. Statmx

Statmx Member

4. didster

didster Member

You should get to use a copy during exams. However, I think that a personal copy of the Tables is a "must have" for studying.

It's relatively inexpensive (compared to other study material) and needed for all exams (to varying extents) not just CT3.

In my opinion, some exams eg CT5 test familiarity with the tables as much as (if not more than) actual "theory". Sad but true - but that's another debate entirely.

There is a (pdf) copy of the first edition somewhere on the Profession's site, which is useful for attempting pre 2002 exams, but very different than the second edition in terms of content, layout etc. (Search and you will find)

I'm surprised that Acted doesn't recommend to students to get the tables (eg for "writing first exam" or in study guides). If they do, maybe it's not prominent enough (although to be honest I didnt really check too much in depth).

5. Statmx

Statmx Member

I just can't disagree with you.
    you're right ActEd is not doing a proper job in fully informing about the tables and it just pop up from nowhere in the course notes requiring the reference to the tables in solving the problems.

Anyway, THANKS again for the help!

6. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

The need to purchase separate Tables from the profession is referred to in the Introduction to Chapter 4 of CT3. I acknowledge, however, that there are references in the course notes to the Tables prior to this point, which are clearly the ones that have caused you problems. Apologies for this.

We will look at explaining the need for and use of the Tables in the initial Study Guide for future versions of the course.

Mark.

7. richie_mc

richie_mc Member

A very useful resource would also be a chart or table containing the type of questions asked and their reference point in the tables, is this available in any of the material?