Actuarial look-up

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by almost_actuary, Jul 21, 2020.

?

Do you think Actuarial Look-up should be able to publish actuaries' exam passes?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2020.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. almost_actuary

almost_actuary Keen member

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but the forum's search bar didn't find anything for me.

I wondered if it is generally considered in line with GDPR for the 'Actuarial Look-up' website to compile all the past results of students and compare them to each other? (http://www.actuarial-lookup.co.uk/) For anyone who hasn't stumbled upon the website before, you can look up student/qualified actuaries and see when they passed each exam.

The website's privacy policy says they use publicly available information (i.e. the IFOA's pass lists) but I understand the IFOA don't archive these pass lists. Indeed, they will no longer be publishing them as of this week.

It feels a bit unfair for students with varying personal/professional circumstances to be compared to an 'average travel time' to qualification. Personally, I don't feel comfortable knowing that any current/future employers could look up my travel time and pass judgement before they interview or get to know me. I know this might seem a bit spoilsport-y but it just seems unfair for the timing of your exam passes to be accessible to anyone.

Would be keen to understand other people's thoughts!

Edit: those voting yes, it would be great to understand why you think that!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Transparency is a good thing

almost_actuary likes this.
  3. patron

patron Member

I thought people could ask not to be on pass lists/ask to be removed from actuarial lookup?

I agree, transparency is a good thing. I also think their stats and analysis are really interesting.

I wouldn't worry much about employers using it to form a negative impression of a candidate. It's fairly standard for employers to ask students about their exam history, so those that do care if you pass exams slowly will get that information anyway if actuarial lookup didn't exist. So if an employer did care about exam progression, they'd just ask you about it at application/interview. I guess if you wanted to lie about the rate of your exam progression, actuarial lookup not existing would be a positive thing!

I'd be interested to hear also from those that think actuarial lookup shouldn't exist.

almost_actuary likes this.