Actuarial Employers in the Midlands

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Phil, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Phil

Phil Member

Hi

At the moment I'm studying some CT subjects and I'm looking to apply for my first actuarial job in November.

Even though November is still a long way away, I'm already keen to know who I will be applying to.

I'm trying to identify actuarial employers in the Midlands. I am particularly interested in insurance companies (the only Midlands ones I know are Resolution, NFU, Wesleyan, Police Mutual). I haven't ruled out considering pensions work.

The problem
    ---------------
    I have already seen the PDF file on www.actuaries.org.uk which is supposed to be a directory of actuarial employers, but there are many companies missing on it e.g Police Mutual Assurance Society and Garvins Consulting Actuaries.

The next place I thought to look at is the actuarial directory in the members area of www.actuaries.org.uk. But the problem with that is you can't tell it to just search in the Midlands, or within a 30 mile radius of Birmingham.

An illustration of the problem
    ----------------------------------
    Pretend I lived in another part of the country and I wanted to relocate to the Birmingham area, so I wanted to find actuarial employers in that area, but not limited to Birmingham city centre.

It is highly unlikely that I would have heard of the town of Bromsgrove, and definitely nothing would have made me think to search for this town in the actuarial directory. Therefore I would never have thought about working for Garvins Consulting Actuaries.

Similarly I wouldn't have thought of Police Mutual Assurance Society in Lichfield.

So does anyone know a better list of actuarial employers?

Thanks

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

try the prospects directory:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=329&pageno=9#pub38487

3. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

You have HBOS in Leeds.
    CIS in Manchester.
    Provident in Halifax.

Are they Midlands?

4. bystander

bystander Member

Not sure where you'd get a definitive list, but maybe contact someone at Birmingham Actuarial Society and see if you can get a list of employers within that catchment area.
    There's one I know of that no-one has yet mentioned which is Windsor Life in Telford (Shropshire).

Good luck with the hunt.

5. garbage_fan

garbage_fan Member

Mercer, PwC, Legal & General, Watson Wyatt, Hymans Robertson and Hewitt Bacon & Woodrow all have offices in or around Birmingham.

6. Phil

Phil Member

Just like I was thinking/fearing - They're virtually all pensions consultancies in the city centre :rolleyes: