ActEd notes state that discounted asset prices are previsible?

Discussion in 'SP6' started by M Willis, Feb 5, 2021.

1. M Willis

M Willis Active Member

I'm currently looking at page 20 of chapter 6 of the SP6 ActEd notes. They have defined the processes
    $$
    E_t := B_t^{-1} V_t \\
    D_t := B_t^{-1} S_t
    $$
    where B_t is the accumulated value of 1 unit of capital invested at the risk-free rate, V_t is the value of the derivative price (which we are trying to replicate), and S_t is the price of the underlying at time t.

However, it then goes on to say that E_t and D_t are previsible. I'm fairly sure that this is not true - am I wrong?

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You're right; there’s no technical requirement on \(D_t\) and \(E_t\) to be previsible.
    However, \(\phi(t)\) is only previsible in the sense that it’s the number of shares held at time t so that at time t+dt the portfolio equals the derivative value.
    In the same sense \(\psi(t)\) is also previsible because its value can be determined by the data available at time t only (without looking into the future at t+dt).
    The main point is that over every small time period we can know what our holdings of stock and cash will be at the beginning of that time period.