Acted forum search tips?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Tim.Sullivan, May 24, 2013.

1. Tim.Sullivan

Tim.Sullivan Member

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone has any tips for using the search function on the Acted forums?

I usually find that when I get stuck on a Q, there's a post somewhere on the subject forums from someone else who had the same trouble. So I find the forums to be a very useful.....except that they are not so easy to search through.

As an example on the CT4 forum buried 3 pages deep there's a question with a title including the text: "Q&A Bank 1.4". If I use 'search this forum' and use that exact text, I get 2 pages of mostly unrelated posts.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Tim

2. didster

didster Member

Some general tips, but don't think there are any hard and fast rules (given the various ways humans phrase the same question differently).

Search only the particular subject sub forum, eg only CT4.

Try limiting your search to post only in the last couple of years (syllabuses change, questions may be renumbered,etc)

Try different search parameters

Try sorting results differently, eg if you sort by date then the top few results may not be relevant. Sorting by relevancy here doesn't seem to work too well for your search below, but it may work better in others.

The forum is based on vBulletin so these tips may work (but I have not tried them)
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=253432
    or others found searching for "vBulletin search tips" on the internet.

You could also try google, using the site parameter to search the acted site.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Awww.acted.co.uk%2Fforums+ct4+Q%26A+1.4
    which gives the top 3 results based on the one you wanted (albeit the first one was just the page of posts on which it was located)

3. Tim.Sullivan

Tim.Sullivan Member

Thank you - appreciated.

Tim