ActEd changing the solutions in the Revision Booklets

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Always Trying, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Always Trying

Always Trying Member

Hi,

I am an ST2 re-taker so have the revision booklets that finish with the September 2008 paper (one year out of date I think). I have found the answers to the exam papers in the revision booklets confusing.

I understand that the answers in the booklets are meant to be brief succinct descriptions of the full answers. However, I do not always find this is the case.

I find that ActEd sometimes add their own details to the real solutions.

Example: Compare booklet 3 Q31 (September 2008 Question 5) with the actual solutions. I find that most of the answers in the booklet are nowhere to be seen in the actual solutions, and some of the actual solutions are not in the booklet! I had to check I was reading the right answer!

I am not trying to disrepute ActEd, since their study aids are fantastic, but would rather understand why this is the case. I do not find it useful that ActEd are telling us answers that are not in the marking scheme.

Does anyone else have the same experience?

Thanks

Andrew

2. Hi Andrew
    I'm very sorry if you've found the solutions confusing.

When we write the solutions (for the revision notes or aset), our policy is to ensure that the vast majority of points made by the examiners are included. We will sometimes include a few additional points that occur to us when answering the question, as not every possible mark-earning point is covered in the exam report.

I've had a look at the solutions for this question, and compared them with the exam report, and while I agree the words are different - and the points are made in a different order - it seems to me that the majority of points in the exam report are actually included in our solution.

The point of the revision note solutions is to provide students with a quick and easy-to-assimilate reference to the main points that should be included. We have worked hard to make these points short and clear, ie without lots of "filler" words, and so hopefully easier to use than (say) the exam report itself, and therefore adding value. We have not attempted to copy out the exam report, as there would be little point - if we did, our solutions would be repeating stuff you could get anyway for free from the profession, and would not be adding any value to that (already useful) free resource.

We can assure you that the revision note solutions do include all the material points required to score well in any exam question. I very much hope you will be able to trust these solutions going forward with your revision. Very best of luck for the exam.

Robert