ACID April 2000 - Option on RPI

Discussion in 'SP6' started by Gareth, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

Can anyone explain why question 1(ii)(a) has used discounted RPI and strike price in the log part of:

[​IMG]

?

In every other example of using Black's model, or the Garman-Kohlhagen formula, the ratio inside the log has always been values at expiry of the option, never the discounted values.

So i'm a little confused...

2. examstudent

examstudent Member

wouldnt separation of the Log in this case reduce to a typical Black Scholes/garman kohlagehn looking d1/d2 formula

i would have thought the same was in the usual black formula where all is parametrised in terms of forward prices F which are put inside logarithm, but as F = S * exp (rt), for stocks, this reduces to typical d1/d2 found in black scholes/ gk formulae...

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

i dont know, couldn't you argue that share prices or RPI indicies are effectively similar, so if you don't discount the share price, then why should u discount the RPI index?

Still unconvinced [​IMG]

4. Gareth

Gareth Member

ST6-11 says the ratio inside the log is:

E[V_T] / X

where X is the strike price and V_T the payoff of the option. These are NOT discounted.

I'm feeling reasonably confident the examiner is wrong.

5. examstudent

examstudent Member

gareth
    i have seen a few cases where in d1 formula, ratio inside logarthim includes discounted strike...

look at brearley and myers "principles of corporate finance "
    fifth edition page 578

look at d1 expression, the ratio inside logarithm has pv(EX)...and no r in the rest of the expression for d1.

algebraically under continuous compounding this should equal conventional formuale for d1( i.e no discounting in teh log ratio with r shoved into the second bit of d1 numerator )