Acceptable phrases?

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Snowy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Snowy

Snowy Member

Are "pros and cons" acceptable to use in the exam - I came upon "versus" as a common phrase which is frowned upon, but I am not sure if "pros and cons" qualify.

Are there any more common such phrases which we should avoid?

2. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Clear and easy to digest Communication

It does seem to be a cliche though I don't think this can be over emphasized. The message should be judged in its complete form. It should be clear and easy to digest. Latin words/phrases don't make messages easy to digest. Jargon does not and also most phrases that would suggest a certain sophisticate/educated image.

Pros and cons would suggest a sophisticate/educated image to me and I wouldn't go with it to be safe with the examiners. I prefer everyday plain english which doesn't reveal anything about me the writer.

Though I add that it would still be judged in the context of the whole message.

3. bystander

bystander Member

More hated pet words than phrases....

Clearly
    Obviously

It may not be clear/obvious to the reader and could be taken as patronising.

I don't mind pros and cons though in a more business oriented work, advantages and disadvantages are better.

I think it is very much a case of knowing the context when choosing your words. Ie tailor it to the scenario you have.

Good luck