Acceptable abbreviations

Discussion in 'SA2' started by misterh, Mar 19, 2013.

1. misterh

misterh Member

Ok I don't want to be writing With-Profits, Without-Profits, Reversionary Bonus, Terminal Bonus, Asset Share, Policyholder or Shareholder out all the way during the exam so I am presuming W/P, RB, TB, A/S, Ph and Sh are legitimate abbreviations. I usually use Wo/P for Without-Profit unless anyone can suggest a more widely used abbreviation. I'm going to use the rule that unless the term is explicitly required as part of the solution that l am ok to use abbreviations such as: GP NP IM MR AFH WPA RA AA etc and then for others such as MCR SCR SFCR SRS QIS ORSA COBS RCM RCR UCITS AUTS WPICC LTICR etc to write out in full and put the abbreviation in brackets so its clear thereafter what I am referring to. Can anyone involved in marking at any stage advise on the above please - cheers

2. misterh

misterh Member

sorry RSR not SRS - I should really have left one in there to get people scratching their heads though :)

3. cjno1

cjno1 Member

Not sure where you are based, but in the UK we generally use NP for without-profits ("non-profit"), as opposed to Wo/P.

Although, as a rule, I would always write out the term in full once and then define my acronym, even for obvious ones. That way you let the marker know you actually know what it means (and sometimes you might even remind the marker what it means ;) ).