Abbrviations in exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by LucyF, Sep 23, 2007.

1. LucyF

LucyF Member

Im just about to sit my first non-CT exam. Im in the habit of writing abbreviations for lots of words ot speed up my answers (e'ee=employee, e'er=employer,conts, bens,mbrs) is it ok to use these in the exam?

2. alskling

alskling Member

I'm interested in this too as I do the same myself.
    I wouldn't have known what e'ee and e'er meant though but that could be cos I wouldn't use those terms often in my exam. I tend to use ph for policyholder and LI co. for life insurance company a lot!

Maybe if you explain them the first time you use them?
    I guess we really need an answer from an exam marker though!

3. Nossy

Nossy Member

I guess if you've defined the abbreviations somewhere first, it should be fine. I use things like e'ee / e'er / t'ee / mbr myself...

I'm about to sit my first non-CT exam too (ST4 on Friday). So could do with finding out... Which one are you sitting Lucy?

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

cert'lly ne use abbr' w/o def'ing them 1st. Jst mks thm hrd 2 read.

We all use slightly diffferent ones.

Fine if defined first, but you're unlikely to use the same word that many times to make it worthwhile - bar the odd exception.

5. LucyF

LucyF Member

Yeah, I'm also taking ST4. I guess defining them at the start is the way to go - good luck for Friday!

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Don't do it.

7. ExamFatigued

ExamFatigued Member

Check out examiners report for SA3 Sept05, Q1 2nd para. Doesn't sound as if this examiner liked abbreviations too much!