Aaaarrrghhh!

Discussion in 'CA3' started by FatSam, Dec 24, 2007.

1. FatSam

FatSam Member

I realise that all those students who have passed Communications find these kinds of threads amusing. But I write this message from a position of genuine despair - despair at having passed all of my actuarial exams bar this one.

I failed communications for the 6th time in September and I really don't know what to do now. I feel totally crushed that my career, salary, development are all stunted by the fact that I haven't written an 'acceptable' letter to my friend.

I was wondering if anyone else had struggled with this exam and could give me some advice as to how to pass the blasted thing. I have done all the Acted assignments, been to exam counselling 4 times, done tuition and also had people at work mark my papers.

2. Tough one. Will be a combination of luck and skill to whether you pass.

What did the exam counselling say? Was there a clear problem in the 4 attempts you had counselled?

3. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I may get into trouble for saying this, but peole I know who passed it are the ones who did virtually no preparation, assignments or anything. I am thinking this may be a good way to go. My Vietnamese friend passed it first time without doing any of the assignments, he never even got one person to mark an exam attempt. When we were talking about the exam afterwards, for the re-draft I asked him how he approached it. In his words he just copied the original, swapping the words 'terminal' for something else! Good for him! A guy in the office did tons of work, all the assignments, past papers, etc and he failed. Then the next sitting he just had a quick read of the notes the night before the exam and passed.

So my advice is next time to forget everything you've been taught about this exam, just turn up, and write from the heart.

4. justarrived

justarrived Member

As much as I would like to take this suggestion, I really think you do need to feel prepared before the exam. I sympathise with fatsam and know exactly the feeling - " what more should I /can I do now?" I am pretty much in the same boat. So if anyone who passed this exam after preparing well for it, please would you throw some light for people like us who are less fortunate?

5. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

Have you analysed the reasons why your answers are different from the model solution? From my experience, there are three main reasons for failing this paper (in decending order of importance):

1. You have not mentioned the points in the model solution;
    2. You have not organised your ideas in a way that's easy for the audience to follow;
    3. You have used inappropriate language or problems with grammar, spelling etc.

To overcome point 1 above, you need to analyse questions after questions to come up with a list of the points relating to a particular topic that the examiner wanted you to talk about when communicating with someone who is not an actuary.

To overcome point 2 above, you need to do these questions and ask youself why some of the points on the "master" list are included in the model answers while some others are left out. After that, you can then try to organise your points in a logical manner. Remember, the way that the model solution is organised is not the only correct way.

To overcome point 3 above, you need to analyse the past solutions by type of audience and get a better feel of what kind of language is needed for a particular type of audience. After that, you need to check your answers to correct any grammar and spelling errors.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  6. inthebag

inthebag Member

not advice for someone who has sat the exam on many occasions...it is impossible to switch-off from previous attempts and the pressure that builds up from having failed it over and over...you just end up going in and repeating what you've done in previous attempts...

..Im talking from experience - I used to sit it (for many years!)whilst doing other exams....I wouldnt give it much attention hoping that Id get lucky on the day - whilst the other exams disappeared one-by-one, it remained and it was only at the Sep sitting there I finally passed

the main reason I think I got it this time was to 'hit' the technical content part of Q1....something that you can master by closely examining old papers - I think they give about 30% for technical content and it really does determine who passes...every1 will get the bulk of the spelling/structure marks etc - break that 30% down into about 6 or 7 points key points....make sure you get these across and build a letter/slides watever around them

7. bystander

bystander Member

Bite the bullet and pay for exam counselling. Maybe there is something in your script that you will see and go 'that's the reason'. Then come away and work on that habit that is making you fail. Your memory will always play tricks on you and seeing the script is reality.

Didn't get stuck on this but worked on a different subject.

Maybe take next sitting off? Is it really that detrimental to your career? Or at the least don't touch past papers until March so you have had a good break.

Look in your office. Are there any writing courses you could try? Get hold of actual letters that are sent out to non-technical clients and analyse them. But remember it's your style that has to come thru' so don't mimic any published style for the sake of it. It probably won't work.

You do have to go in calm on the day. No use muttering I've done this thing x times before; they have it in for me. Change it to this is a fresh challenge and I am capable of getting this. Then think before you write.

No magical cure I'm afraid... It's staying around in some form or another!

Hope '08 is your year.

8. FatSam

FatSam Member

At last I passed

After many years of struggling with this exam, I am finally through it and as a result, qualified too.
    Thank god.
    I have no clue what I did to pass but I am not complaining.
    Just want to say thanks to everyone that gave me tips and humoured me in their responses.
    It's been a long road but at least it's over.......
    WOOOOHOOOO

9. Cardano

Cardano Member

Well done FatSam

10. anon2

anon2 Member

I think we can all agree that this exam is a load of cobblers.