A strange situation...

Discussion in 'Careers' started by paykanti, Aug 15, 2012.

1. paykanti

paykanti Member

lll

lll

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

I'm finding it a bit difficult to understand what you're trying to achieve paykanti. why don't you try to get an actuarial analyst role, or something similar (or are you taking the football job because you were unable to find one)? :confused:

If you want a actuarial career it seems odd to move into a completely non-actuarial role. And if you don't want an actuarial career, it seems odd to continue with the exams (unless returning to an actuarial career is your plan b (?)). I think a future employer would struggle to understand your career choices if you tried to move back to something actuarial in a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  3. bystander

bystander Member

Sounds to me as you wouldn't want to be an actuary given the admin role hasn't enthused you.

So study something better recognised by other fields eg marketing or if you wantt o go back to insurance but not actuarial try CII.

4. scarlets

scarlets Member

Some interviewers are highly suspicious and scathing of those who have dared to leave the exciting world of actuary to do something else. As that shows an independence of mind and courage which brings fear and contempt not respect and admiration. Even though, secretly, many of them wish they had made moves like that themselves.

Others are more relaxed about it and respect someone who's made an effort off their own back to do the CT exams in their personal time.

Sadly I think there's more of the former than the latter. But I think returning into a temporary/contract role would be easier than a perm role as they're not so fussy.

Be careful though - much of that interesting maths you may come across in the CT's is rarely used in the job, so if you found the Actuarial administrator role boring then you might end up disappointed if you came back into Actuary with high hopes of doing really interesting math modelling. Spreadsheet based work more than likely.

5. waddle

waddle Member

boredom

Being an actuary may be as boring and less exciting as the pension admin but at least there is a reasonably good pay. I think people should always be given the second chance and the harder and more brutal the attempt made, the more respectfully the employer will view your record.
    But at least stay in insurance and do those CTs. Underwriting would be the good starting place for such.

6. bystander

bystander Member

What is the new role you've taken?

If you move again, remember not to sound entirely negative about the first experience at an interview. Its fine to say you decided that wasnn't for you overall because....but mention what it did give you eg what skills you acquired there and experience.

You were right to give it a fair crack becauise if you do come back into an actuarial environment it would look worse if you hadn't stayed long. Then be able to talk about how your second role has developed you. Employers look at the person as well as paper.

I'm still a bit concerned that you you are attracted to the Ct exams because there are mathematical rather than actuarial in the broad sense. But at least now there is something at the end of the CTs but as intimated above beyond the financial sector, it won't be a well known thing.

Yes self studying is always valuable but be clear why you are doing it, otherwise it will become harder when you stumble on subjects you find hard... and believe me, in every subject there always seems to be something!