2021 Exam Referencing

Discussion in 'CP1' started by Jordyn Morris, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Jordyn Morris

Jordyn Morris Member

Good Afternoon,
    With the updated regulations I saw that we are required to reference definitions, lists and anything that is not in our own words.
    Does this apply to the acronyms ie, if I use Create Grand Lists to list external factors does it need to be referenced to the Act Ed revision booklets?
    Also, does the style of referencing matter? I’m just a bit nervous on how time consuming adding references will be.
    Thanks,
    Jordyn

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi: the IFoA have also posted this if anyone hasn't seen it, which includes something on the style of reference:
    https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyi...-regulations/inappropriate-conduct/plagiarism

If you are reproducing a list from another source (such as ActEd materials or Core Reading), the information provided by the IFoA as per the above link suggests that would have to be referenced. If you are using a list for idea generation (which is the main purpose of the acronyms) then that doesn't sound like reproduction.

3. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Update: the IFoA's statement on plagiarism has just been updated (same link as above).
    So, for example, it now says that:
    'candidates will not normally be investigated where small amounts of quoted material are included without referencing.'

4. Jordyn Morris

Jordyn Morris Member

Thanks so much!