2016 Course Notes

Discussion in 'SA4' started by TheCannibal, Oct 19, 2015.

1. TheCannibal

TheCannibal Member

Hi

I understand legislation in pensions can lead to the notes being updated significantly each year but the estimated despatch date of 16th November (when some tutorials begin on 23rd November) is pretty surprising to me. Is this a normal timeframe or just a worse case scenario? I was really hoping to have made some inroads into the notes before Christmas.

2. You're right, there are significant changes to the SA4 CMP most years due to legislative updates (and this year is no different - remember also that the exams were very late this year, 13 October for SA4).

So, yes, this is very normal - indeed this year's updates were finished somewhat ahead of schedule. Given the amount of updating required this year, for most of the summer it was looking like the SA4 CMP would have to be issued in sections. However, the SA4 tutor team worked extremely hard to get the materials finished, so when you see speak to your tutor next month be sure to give them a big thank you.

The SA4 CMP was finalised on 9 October. Our external printer then has to create stock and despatch, which although takes longer than you'd think, hopefully the materials will be with you shortly.

3. It also seems an appropriate time to note the following, these points especially apply to those studying SA4 for the first time:

* Many past SA4 exams have covered topical issues. For any students waiting for materials it may be a good starting point to read the topical issues document and explore the links within. For more details, please see http://www.acted.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4876 .

* Part 1 of the course is likely to seem the 'heaviest', as it contains a lot of facts and figures ... to avoid getting 'bogged down' I would recommend reading it once relatively quickly, and returning to it later once you've read the whole course. There is plenty of time between now and 30 April to revisit!

4. MustardTiger

MustardTiger Member

Hi there, the ebook version of the CMP is showing as not ready until 29th January 2016 which I'm a bit worried about (11 weeks before the exam). Would the 2015 CMP ebook still be relevant to start looking at in advance? What sections of the course are due to have the most significant changes?

Many thanks

5. As always for SA4, we cannot provide a full "change by change" CMP Upgrade due to the high volume of changes. The "overview" SA4 CMP Upgrade will be available in around 3-4 weeks' time, but in the meantime the biggest changes are:
    - basically all of part 1 (as always!)
    - investment principles (Myners vs IGG)
    - mortality (latest tables etc)
    - accounting (introduction of FRS 102).

If you are using the 2015 e-CMP for now, definitely avoid the above areas!

I have asked our customer services team to provide the latest ETA for the 2016 e-CMP.

6. MustardTiger

MustardTiger Member

Many thanks Stuart that's great :)

7. And some more good news ... I've been told that the paper copy of the SA4 material should be despatched to students next week and that the eBook should be ready for despatch around the end of November.

8. TheCannibal

TheCannibal Member

Hi Stuart. Many thanks for your messages and we do appreciate the work done to incorporate the amount of changes each year. I am happy to say I actually received the notes today!