2013 April Q10

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Darragh Kelly, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Darragh Kelly

Darragh Kelly Ton up Member

Hi,

Just a question regarding the risk-neutral probabilities for the 2 state model.

How can we say that Q1, risk-neutral prob of no default for bond 1 maturing at time 1, is the same for bond 2 which matures at time 2? Is it always the case if the bonds have been issued from the same company regardless of their maturity date then their risk-neutral probabilities of default for each year are the same? eg if there was bond 3 maturing at time 3, prob of no default for bond 3 at time 3 is Q1*Q2*Q3?

Thanks,

Darragh

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The two-state model says that bonds from an issuer exist under an intensity of default lambda. So in this question Bond 1 and Bond 2 have to endure the same default intensity for one year. If Bond 2 survives then it experiences (potentially) a different intensity of default over the final year.
    The risk-neutral probabilities are the fictional quantities required such that the bonds are expected to grow like the risk-free rate. The product of probabilities you've suggested would not apply (I don't think it doesn't apply to Bond 2 either).

3. Darragh Kelly

Yeah all clear on bonds with different maturities having same intensities if issued from same firm thanks for that.

Just lastly on the product of the risk-neutral probabilities, I was saying if there was bond 3 (which expired in 3 years) surely it would experience the same intensity of default as bond 1 and 2 for year 1 and then year 2 bond 2 and 3 would share the same default intensity (which may be potentially different to year 1 as you said)?

Thank you,

Darragh

4. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes, I agree with this. Maybe I misunderstood what "Q1*Q2*Q3" meant :)

5. Darragh Kelly

Perfect thanks a mill steve all clear now