2011 vs 2010

Discussion in 'SP7' started by avidactuary, Jan 27, 2011.

1. avidactuary

avidactuary Member

I am retaking ST7 having studied it the past two sittings and failed. I am being lazy, but has anyone already checked for differences between the 2010 core reading and 2011?

2. bystander

bystander Member

Not in that boat but have general advice in this kind of situation....

Don't be lazy. Look at changes in the syllabus that I think are published on the actuaries website.

The danger in your route is that you'll concentrate on new stuff. Whilst naturally you need to learn anything new, and don't need anything that has been dropped, you could slip up. Clearly there was something wrong with your lnowledge of the old stuff.

My best advice is get the retaker pack and work through it as if it were a first attempt. Do something different in the study. Maybe a block tutorial if not done before, or a different revision pack.

Don't think...'oh not that old chestnut'. Concentrate throughout as thoufg it was all fresh.

And if you really are that fed up, do you really want to take it again this sitting? There may be merit in a break assuming this isn't the only thing stopping your qualification.

3. Cardano

Cardano Member

The post of someone heading for a third failure. If you are going to invest 100's of hours revising for this exam, a hour or so studying updates would be sensible!

4. avidactuary

avidactuary Member

I believe I failed last time as I didn't know the bookwork. I just didn't have time to go over it as I was put on a difficult project. I think I completely messed up the diversification in capital modelling question and stochastic modelling question and lost a lot of easy marks for not being able to regurgitate the notes.

I am going to read the notes thoroughly again (actually I have already done so) however

a) my 2010 notes are annotated and highlighted hence I would prefer to refer to these rather than a new set of 2011 notes
    b) I have notes of notes and want to really concentrate on these
    c) I don't want to pay for a new set of notes as updates should really be covered in the free CMP upgrade

I have had a look at the CMP upgrade for ST7 but it doesn't contain new pages as it would usually do and rather a guide to where the changes are. E.g it says "significant changes to chapter 26 - regulation" or "introduction to section 5 has been rewritten"

The CMP upgrade is also very confusing on what has changed in the core reading vs acted notes. Ideally these could have been put in two different sections.

So what does this mean?

Basically it means that I have to waste my money purchasing a new set of notes and go through the changes which will also be a waste of a day at least.

(I think I am just getting the core reading from the institute and try to use the CMP upgrade as a guide to check for updates)

I know it is only a small amount of money and a day, but when you are taking these exams for several years, it is kind of fustrating.

5. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Dear Avidactuary,

There were very many changes to the course notes between 2010 and 2011, simply too many for a detailed upgrade to be practicable. This was not a decision we took lightly however, and I'm sorry you feel this has not been helpful.

I think the best thing to do would be to get a new set of notes so that you know exactly what has changed. The most significant of these, as you quite rightly point out, is in Chapter 26, on regulation. Then you can update your own annotated notes accordingly.

You should also consider your study technique. It is important to be thorough when studying the ST subjects and skimming over the Core Reading is not likely to be an effective shortcut. For example, whenever you meet a question you're not sure about, you might decide to learn the Core Reading thoroughly first before attempting the question.

I'm happy to provide assistance with any areas you find difficult.

Good luck!

Katherine.

6. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Dear Avidactuary,

There were very many changes to the course notes between 2010 and 2011, simply too many for a detailed upgrade to be practicable. This was not a decision we took lightly however, and I'm sorry you feel this has not been helpful.

I think the best thing to do would be to get a new set of notes so that you know exactly what has changed. The most significant of these, as you quite rightly point out, is in Chapter 26, on regulation. Then you can update your own annotated notes accordingly.

You should also consider your study technique. It is important to be thorough when studying the ST subjects and skimming over the Core Reading is not likely to be an effective shortcut. For example, whenever you meet a question you're not sure about, you might decide to learn the Core Reading thoroughly first before attempting the question.

I'm happy to provide assistance with any areas you find difficult.

Good luck!

Katherine.

7. mattt78

mattt78 Member

Avid - for what its worth, the feeling of my st7 tutor was that a detailed question on ch26 (regulation) was quite unlikely, and a fairly superficial knowledge of this chapter should be ok. since its the dullest, dryest, least worth testing chapter of the material, i'm hoping he's right, and am learning just the basics. Its certainly very difficult to see how they could ask anything other than a pure bookwork question on that chapter. Of course, there's no guarentees though - apparently they've been known to ask questions about stuff that isn't in the course at all, so who knows(?)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011