2010 Specimen paper.

Discussion in 'SP7' started by code9063, Sep 5, 2015.

1. code9063

code9063 Member

Hi,

I have a few questions about the solution to Q2.

For (i)

could you elaborate what is meant by
    ->Need paid claims development if discounted reserves required
    ->Alternatively project at gross level and analyse the trend in reinsurance to
    gross ratios for premiums, paid, incurred, outstanding claims in order to
    select reinsurance IBNR ratios.

->Claims and premiums are caculated on the same basis (what basis is this?)
    ->The method assumes that the movement in exchange rates move in exactly
    offsetting ways to movements in inflation.

for (iv)
    When calculating the weighted average ELR why don't we use the earned premium adjusted for the increase in the premium rate instead of the unadjusted earned as given in the question.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Part (i)

->Need paid claims development if discounted reserves required

To discount the reserves you would use the development pattern obtained from projecting a paid claims triangle and not an incurred claims triangle.

->Alternatively project at gross level and analyse the trend in reinsurance to
    gross ratios for premiums, paid, incurred, outstanding claims in order to
    select reinsurance IBNR ratios.

Instead of projecting net triangles, you could project gross triangles and apply net to gross (or reinsurance to gross) ratios to estimate the net reserves.

->Claims and premiums are calculated on the same basis (what basis is this?)

Whenever you calculate a loss ratio you need to make sure that the numerator and the denominator correspond. So if you have earned premiums you should use incurred claims, for example.

->The method assumes that the movement in exchange rates move in exactly
    offsetting ways to movements in inflation.

Because the previous diagonals are not adjusted for exchange rate movements, this method effectively lumps all exchange rate movements into the latest diagonal.

Part (iv)

You have already allowed for the premium rates changes when adjusting the loss ratios. If you weight with adjusted premiums you would effectively be double counting this.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015