2008 Q9 Sept

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Darragh Kelly, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Darragh Kelly

Darragh Kelly Ton up Member

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Here it is.

Attached Files:

3. Darragh Kelly

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting this.

I've been looking at the question but still a bit stuck.

So the PDE = def,f/def,r +rSt*del,f/del,s + 0.5*sigma^2*St^2*del^2,f/del,s^2 = rf (taken from page 11 of chap 15).
    If I do as per the question and take the first derivative above with respect to sigma as per the question, I get the following:

del^2,f/del,t*del,sigma + rSt*del^2,f/del,s*del,sigma + 0.5*sigma^2*St^2*del^3,f/del^2,s*del,sigma + sigma*St^2*del^2,f/del,s^2 = r*del,f/del,sigma ? I used the product rule on the term 0.5*sigma^T.

I'm not sure where to go next - do I need to plug in vega derived in the previous q and plug in and simplify?

Thanks,

Darragh

4. Steve Hales

Every time you find a del,f/del,sigma in your equation you should replace it with "V" for vega, this will give you:

del,V/del,t + rSt*del,V/del,s + 0.5*sigma^2*St^2*del^2,V/del^2,s + sigma*St^2*del^2,f/del,s^2 = r*V

The last term in the LHS is zero because gamma = del^2,f/del,s^2 = 0.

5. Darragh Kelly

Thanks Steve, I think I get it now, was very rusty on the multivariable calculus.

So just to check I fully understand, taking first term which is del^2,f/del,t*del,sigma I use fact that the order of the differentiation in multivariable calculus doesn't matter so I write and del,*defl,f/del,t*del,sigma and then finally del(vega)/del,t? Same approach for rest of the variables noting that all of the greeks for share price will be zero (except for delta), which will collapse a few terms.

Cheers,

Darragh

6. Steve Hales

Yep, you've got it.

7. Darragh Kelly

Thanks for your help