2004 FAC still valid?

Discussion in 'FAC & Stats Pack' started by Oldy-but-Goody, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hi All

I have recently reregistered as a student having first joined in 2004. At that time I bought FAC & Statspack.

I'll obviously be needing these quite extensively to get up to speed again and so wished to know whether my 2004 editions are still valid now, as my versions were produced when the old 100 series exams were still current? From comparing the syllabus of the 2004 FAC to the current one, the only differences I can see are under Calculus where the new version includes:

"(e)(xiv) Apply the trapezium rule to find the approximate value of an integral."

and in my version there is a chapter on Set Theory which I assume is no longer required?

I would assume that I'd be fine with the older texts but just wanted to be certain.

Many thanks.

2. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

Hi there

You should be fine using the version of FAC that you have.

There were a few changes (which you mention) when the exams were restructured from the 100 series to CTs. In particular, the stuff on set theory is now covered in a chapter in CT3, so was removed from FAC.

But these changes aren't significant, and the CT exams require the same mathematical techniques as the 100 series. So I'd say you should just use the version you have - I wouldn't think it was worth getting a new version just for the trapezium rule stuff.

Best wishes,

Mark.

3. Thanks!