2:2 Degree

Discussion in 'Careers' started by paykanti, Nov 4, 2010.

1. paykanti

paykanti Member

lll

lll

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

2:2

there are plenty of actuarial student type jobs that aren't part of organised actuarial grad schemes. have you just been trying to apply direct, or have you spoken to recruiters? look on "the actuary" web site if you haven't been trying through recruiters. Recruiters will be in the best position to advise you as to what's possible and realistic, but i'd imagine that, outside the big actuarial recruiters, most others would at least consider someone with a 2:2 if the rest of their CV looks good. Certainly trying to get some relevant work experience would help though. Are you in London?

if you're really struggling but you're committed to an actuarial career then maybe try an indirect route - get a job as an underwriting assistant, or management information analyst or something, and it will then be much easier to move into a trainee actuarial role when you have a year or two's experience under your belt.

3. paykanti

paykanti Member

lll

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  4. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

I know someone who got a 2:2..went to Imperial ..did some mathematical finance masters got a distinction & works for jp morgan.... actually..I know another one who got a 2:2 went to a well known scottish uni did a similar financial math Msc and works for a blue chip financial company too. Notably the former is an Investment Banker and not an Actuary and the latter is also in a similar level position but on the credit analysis side but one would argue they have achieved the same level of success (as an actuary) or that they can move to the actuarial sector easily if they wished. Life is what you make it.

My suggestion is you could follow the same route and do financial msc get a distinction etc....alternatively try to sit exams with the Institute and improve your exam record and what you can offer...or try to look for an actuarial technician position which does not have a study package.

And don't waste time waiting or chasing a pipe dream..not even a second.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  5. mattt78

mattt78 Member

2:2

anything that will distinguish you from the crowd - some other qualification is one way, especially if you want to get into one of the larger employers, but otherwise I think some relevant work experience may be the best way to go.

First, look at the job ads on 'The Actuary' site and speak to the recruitment consultants. If that doesn't get you anywhere, ring around or email or write to the relevant people (heads of actuarial/risk management departments etc), explain that you have a degree in actuarial science and are willing to work doing anything in a relevant dept for up to a month. If you try 50 places i'd be amazed if at least a couple of places didn't invite you in, and probably more like 5 or 10. I'd probably ring up, ask for the name of the head of the relevant dept (or maybe go the their web site or whatever) and email them if you can get an email address, otherwise write to them snail mail style.

I'd emphasise your excel (and any access or VBA etc) skills by the way if you try that by the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010