100% Exam Pass Rate

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by actuaryre, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Muppet

Muppet Member

Most actuarial students will not have an English A'level. Hence not a disadvantage.

2. Calum

Calum Member

The short answer is not at all, considering that probably the majority of entrants to the Profession will not have done one.

My answer would be that improving your communication skills will never be a bad thing, and having strong writing skills in particular is valuable.

3. jrpfinch

jrpfinch Member

This reminds me of the most depressing quote I've ever seen in The Actuary or, for that matter, any magazine:

"Approach writing as you would Solvency II model validation and you shouldn’t go far wrong"
    http://www.theactuary.com/features/2012/11/it-pays-to-proofread/

Admittedly, the quote is out of context - the article is about spelling and grammar - but I think it sums up how most actuaries approach writing.

To the original poster, please do English A-Level. The Profession desparately needs good punchy writers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  4. cjno1

cjno1 Member

Couldn't agree more. All actuaries are good with numbers, it's the ones who are good with words that are most valuable.

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

The IFoA refuse to publish these statistics. What is quoted on here is misleading and most people cannot study and work at the same time. 10 hours of study on top of work for 6 months while having a relationship or family, forget it. No wonder 82% of women quit the profession within 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
  6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Little Miss Actuary was correct all those years ago in 2009. Ten years later finally an actuary complained to the ASA and they got the IFoA to remove that false and misleading statement. That's 10 years of mis-selling the qualification.

7. Hi Bystander, I like reading your informative posts... I wanted to ask you, which exam did you find the hardest to pass??