1 or 2 exams in Sept/Oct?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Imardin, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Imardin

Imardin Member

I haven't started studying for the September exams yet, and can't decide what to sit. I'm definitely sitting CT7, but don't know if it is wise to sit CT4 as well, for which I got an FB in Sept last year.

With 14 weeks to go (considering I still need to buy materials), if I aim at 300 study hours (150 each, as recommended), I should put in about 22 hrs a week. Seems a bit tight, taking into account work hours, etc, but it's also a bit conservative, as I probably won't need that much for the resit.

On the other hand, if sitting only CT7, I would need only 11 hrs a week, which sounds really relaxed.

What should I do? Any advice on how to decide?

Thanks!

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Why won't you take CT4 as first priority since you've taken it already....
    How many exams to take is such a personal decision and it depends how efficiently can you study...etc.

3. bystander

bystander Member

depends on how you react to pressure and how disciplined you are.

You may be better just doing the one CT7 if its a new subject and getting yourself to a near certain pass rather than squash 2 and end up with 2 FAs.

Also if you are supported by an employer what do they expect? How would it go say to take the 'easy route' and not get it?!

4. Tele76

Tele76 Member

I was wondering, are most people waiting for the Spring exam results to come out before planning for the Autumn exams?

I'm also doing CT7 in the Autumn, but I haven't decided whether to do a second one yet (CT4 or CT6) - just in case I have to do two retakes as well.

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I was under the impression that in the UK most act. students are starting to study a week or 2 weeks after sitting an exam.
    This is ideally what I would like to do next year. Right now I am waiting till Thursday to make a decision because I had a lot of other issues to sort out, but I am aware that in this case, I would not have enough time to learn 2 subjects from scratch....

6. Imardin

Imardin Member

I'm mainly unsure how many hours to plan for a resit. I had a pretty good understanding of CT4 material when I sat it forst time and didn't fail by much, but I'm not sure how much I'll remember....

Normally I would have started earlier, but as Viki2010 says, I had other things in between....

7. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

You will never know exactly how many hours to put in. The best strategy is to put the most you can....every CT4 exam session will vary and it is hard to say how challenged can you be...

8. bystander

bystander Member

Possible way to test how much you retained is, without any revision, tackle the exam you failed under exam conditions and see how it feels.

But you should never be complacent about any resit. Treat it as if you have never sat it and study or revise it actively.

On whether to pick something up new post results, if you are far enough ahead on the one you have been studying in the interim then fine. But if you are already behind don't.