Sep 2021 online exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by GG_3012, Apr 30, 2021.

1. almost_there

almost_there Member

They get enough money coming in to do things properly, they don't need people to make excuses for them as well, they should have just done a better job.

2. meghnaln

meghnaln Member

Fair enough!

Though, IMO, providing an additional option of handwritten and scanned for September 2021 exam will not harm candidates who have prepared on word, it can be expected that these candidates can have reason to feel aggreived as they could have spent that time studying. Again just proves my point whether the test is of knowledge or ability to type.

I only hope IFOA will provide the following options for exams starting April 2022.

1. Typed in Word
    2. Handwritten and scanned - preferably all but definitely mathematical papers (CM1 CM2, CS1, CS2)
    3. If things brighten up on Covid 19 front, reopen exam centers

I feel it is a reasonable request that would help candidates as it would enable candidates to focus on the exams and not on the modalities. Exam centers additionally would solve the problem of plagiarism for IFOA.

3. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

I'm not defending anyone, it's your opinion that they should be doing better, and as someone who has qualified years ago - why do you keep coming back to student threads. You mentioned previously a case went to court about timing - what was the outcome?

You previously mentioned that they should have canceled when the talk of online came about - do you still stand by that and no exams should be on until everyone is back in an exam center, and if that means their careers are on hold then so be it?

What are the hundreds/thousands of people who are sitting (CM1 CM2, CS1, CS2) doing that means they are passing. What are thy doing so differently. If it was as hard as to type these up as everyone keeps saying, you wouldn't be having hundreds passing each sitting. So please share with us all how these people are passing?

I could say to you that it's not fair that the exams are in english only - despite english not being many students first language - But that isn't unique to the IFoA - CFA are english only. Is that fair? Is that right? Are the SoA exams converted to other languages?

You come onto the threads saying the IFoA are evil etc, but yet you stayed with them, you qualified and you spend you days getting involved in stuff that has nothing to do with you as your not a student.

4. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

From what I've seen they have multiple choice questions to avoid the typing. However, these can be, say, 4 mark questions which doesn't seem fair. A slight slip in your working and you could lose 4 marks whereas someone could gain them just by guessing correctly. That's why I think that those exams will end up back in centres.

An argument saying that it is fine because of pass rates ignores that pass rates are set and can be varied to ensure a reasonable number of people pass.