Investigation into possible plagiarism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Peter90, Jul 19, 2020.

1. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

I was the thinking of recording myself but then that only makes sense if I never plan to look... And I looked a little

2. T.Dohrnii

T.Dohrnii Member

You're allowed to look! Just not copy word for word.

Can't imagine the IFoA site handling hundreds/thousands of 3.25hr screen recording uploads when it can't even handle people logging onto the exam history page at the same time.

Hanna Hohner and almost_there like this.
  3. Chloe Den

Chloe Den Member

anyone received anything since? They really did not take into account the fact that the students are human beings with their own anxieties and feelings... For example, I was riddled with anxiety after that initial letter, especially considering how many people on here testify to being accused in the wrong.

almost_there likes this.
  4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Reddit ActuaryUK also a fake forum as bans those criticising certain IFoA policies.

The problem is IFoA is not being held accountable by anyone for what it does. The people behind these letters are not actuaries, are out of touch with those aspiring to be and mostly unregulated themselves. In theory its Council, the FRC, its complaint processes, student consultative forum etc. should be dealing with them but in reality, well, we read year after year on this forum and elsewhere of the growing failures. It doesn't take much searching online to find out about these.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2020
  5. limamichelle

limamichelle Active Member

I really think this may not be optimal.
    Surely recording yourself will basically just clear you of collusion not plagiarism? A screen recorder would be more helpful in terms of plagiarism. And even so, if the personal notes you are "copying from" do not have the required references in them because you haven't retrospectively put them in, you would still be done for plagiarism.

Plus, if you had a screen recorder you could have a hard copy book you could copy from too! You would still have some explaining to do with word for word answers. in this case you would need a combo screen and video/audio camera recording with a nice 360 rotation beforehand to prove you don't have any hidden mics.

As the rules stand today (knowing they could change o_O ) perhaps just making sure you cite all your references and make sure you have definitions in your own words. (I tend to think bookwork questions will die a speedy death due to the change of format)

As for me, as i haven't done the exams for 6 years, i found out pretty late that this exam was "open book" so i studied for a closed book exam. I tried to do an exam open book style and i found i was spending way too much time looking for exact references and did not finish early. That may be another option.

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Indeed. Maybe it is even an unfair or unenforceable contract term. Especially if the FAQ changes without proper version number or date as someone suggested earlier in this thread.

7. BrianCunningham

BrianCunningham Active Member

I see. I read some threads there yesterday that were vehemently critical of Acted and IFoA, they're not there any more.

8. Milly

Milly Member

I noticed this too. It could be to do with the fact there were so many posts in a short time rather than being a ‘fake forum’.

9. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Please remember the title of this thread and try to keep to topic. You are welcome to start other threads to discuss other issues.
    Thank you.

10. N15

N15 Keen member

Thank you all for your support. I just can't believe how silly all of this is.

BrianCunningham and almost_there like this.
  11. Trainee_Act

Trainee_Act Member

I am so sorry you received one of these letters. The only advice I can give is to seek legal help as you suggested in a previous post.

The IFOA cannot continue to drag out this process for months. These exam scripts could be put through the necessary computer programmes immediately before the marking even commenced.

They will be totally un-contactable until February based on previous experience - the whole process has a total disregard for a person’s reputation, mental health and future exam progress, amongst other things.

almost_there and Milly like this.
  12. Milly

Milly Member

Does anyone know if they’ve sent the collusion letters out?

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

Is the process and its timescale documented and secondly who have people complained to? Or are people putting up with an arbitrary situation they never signed up to?

14. ADR

ADR Member

Do they put the result for all exams you took on hold till the investigation ends or only the exam for which you are accused?

15. Redz

Redz Member

Only for the accused

16. jack99

jack99 Member

Does anyone know at what time the results are going to be published?

17. Han Wang

Han Wang Member

should be at 6pm, but their website usually crashes at 5:59pm UK time. So you may get your results about 6:30-7ish if you’re lucky....

18. Hanna Hohner

Hanna Hohner Keen member

So, if you've got a P, then cannot they withdraw it from you afterwards? I hope so, though not feeling guilty about the plagiarism stuff.

19. kze

kze Keen member

I'm curious about this too. Is the result finalised once you've received the results letter?

20. Roy672

Roy672 Member

Has anyone affected this time around heard back on the status of their investigation?

21. Hanna Hohner

Hanna Hohner Keen member

I have not received anything since then