CM1 Results

Discussion in 'CM1' started by The Student Actuary, Dec 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone,

Just curious, how did everyone do on CM1 exam? If you passed please let me know what you think the pass mark was.

I did not pass. If you did not pass would love to hear your thoughts on why. I was completely put down by the online exam. The switching between paper and screen took too long. Some questions were not designed to be done on word like the last one. Also, did anyone notice the FAQ changing? The part about copy and paste for Excel specifically put me down.

2. GOFS03

GOFS03 Keen member

I also failed i had a mark of 56 so would be curious as to how close I was. I found the typing the most difficult, it caused me to fall under time pressure then having to decide on what questions to focus on.

3. Greentea

Greentea Active Member

Also failed with 56. I got caught out by the typing too, also didn't use excel. Knowing what I know now, will change my strategy next time.

4. Two people got 56 and failed so I am presuming the pass mark may be close to 60. Oh yes the time pressure was immense. I also found myself finding it harder to spot errors on my workings because of the lack of actuarial symbols and hand-written maths.

5. Greentea

Greentea Active Member

What did you get?
    Yeh it was a test of knowing the content + knowing how to type it quickly/be strategic with working out. I think I went into way too much detail on questions with not many marks and ran out of time for that long question, stupidly I didn't read through the exam at the beginning so didn't realise it was a quarter of the paper. Feel annoyed that it was probably the online format that led me to a fail here, but can't really do much about that just have to focus on better exam tactics next time.

6. What strategies do you think you would put in place the next time?
    I agree but I also strongly feel the IFoA could have made the exam format more digestable and not have us do an exam on word! What are some tactics you are looking to employ for the resit if I may ask?

7. Imy

Imy Member

I passed CM1 with 66. Must have been because of Paper A as Paper B made me cry.

8. Greentea

Greentea Active Member

I agree totally. They could've put in some MCQ to speed some of the low mark questions up, like they did in CS1. The final question was inappropriate for word too. I feel confident I would've passed had it been a paper exam.

For next time, I will start on the bigger questions, so do the paper from the end to the beginning. I will cut out some unnecessary steps in my working that took ages to type out, I was way too thorough in places where it probably didn't add any extra marks. I will use excel to make tables/to calculate things, and copy the values over. And practice typing questions up on word.

9. Imy

Imy Member

I don’t know if it helps anyone but for me I made sure to type every revision book/aset question I did and avoid using my pen so I would get used to typing in the notation. It meant the past papers were taking me 4-5 hours at first but then I started to get faster. Then on the day I managed to complete paper A just in time. I didn’t spend as much time revising paper B as I should have though so I was lucky to pull my grade up on A to just pass (obviously I recommend spending time on B to be much safer!)

10. Greentea

Greentea Active Member

Yeh I definitely didn't practice enough, barely at all really as I decided to take the exam very late in the game so couldn't afford spending 4-5 hours on a past paper. But I'll have more time for the resit and typing practice will take priority this time. Still hoping they add in MCQs next time though, worked well for CS1.

11. cheekynandos

cheekynandos Member

Has anyone not received their results yet? I'm still waiting. I found the exam incredibly hard and way too over the top for an online based exam that had to be written out in word. Part B just made me want to quit and submit a blank workbook. I'm not expecting to pass.

Salma likes this.
  12. Yengest

Yengest Member

Looks like the pass mark for CM1 is 58

13. DLCH

DLCH Member

Also failed with 56... Paper B is so terrible

14. Salma

Salma Member

Has anyone managed to find out what the pass mark was yet? Also is it possible for us to obtain a marked transcript of the paper we submitted?

15. Yengest

Yengest Member

Pass mark is 58. You can check this from the passing candidate list on the IAA website

16. i-actuary

i-actuary Member

how did the results came out? email or you just had to loggin in ifoa?

17. Salma

Salma Member

Just to log go onto ifoa account and then click on Exam letters

18. I agree Paper B is so hard!

19. How comes we are not given the breakdown between paper A & B?

20. i-actuary

i-actuary Member

did u receive an email in adnance?

21. Fiorentinaa

Fiorentinaa Member

Thought I totally fluffed both papers and got a 56, gutting I was so close to the pass mark. Didn't practice doing the exam on word enough and hate the whole concept of maths on word. Also agree that changing the guidance to not being able to paste over from excel just before the exam was very harsh.