Investigation into possible plagiarism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Peter90, Jul 19, 2020.

1. ProudActuary stated

“I think that human rights organisations will have more pressing concerns than this to be honest - it's this needless sensationalism that really detracts from the credibility of some of your posts to be honest. ”

How exactly does that translate to him saying that refusing to provide details to those its accuses is inconsistent with natural justice and one's human rights.

Your statement is at best a strawman, and that is being charitable.

Do you even know what natural justice is or are you just mouthing off?

What is the case law or legal principle that supports your apparent position that withholding certain types of sensitive information is inconsistent “with natural justice and one's human rights”

I ask because you made the incoherent statement about natural justice, not Proud Actuary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
    ProudActuary likes this.
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Are you asking on behalf of anyone in particular? Why not just let Proud Actuary answer the reasonable question put.

3. Reasonable lol.
    He did not mention natural justice. You did.
    The 3 questions I asked still stand.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

As students may seek to rely on particular legal arguments and case law to defend their position, it would not be sensible to share such material here, as it would only advantage those who wish them to fail.

5. ProudActuary stated

“I think that human rights organisations will have more pressing concerns than this to be honest - it's this needless sensationalism that really detracts from the credibility of some of your posts to be honest. I would definitely be discussing my concerns and seeking advice from my employer first of all.”

How exactly does his statement translate to him saying that refusing to provide details to those it accuses is consistent with natural justice and one's human rights.

You can answer this question without stating any case law or legal principles

ProudActuary likes this.
  6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Then Proud Actuary can say so, right? You are misrepresenting the conversation anyway.

7. A little bit of friendly advice…..

You should be careful about playing fast and loose with the law.

Lack of legal knowledge is tolerated in some domains; however it can land you in hot water very quickly if you try to use the law incorrectly to demand that which cannot be demanded. The profession might even take action if it is serious enough.

Furthermore, I am not sure if anyone has ever told you, but you need to work on your communication skills.

The post I am responding to is yet another incoherent response.

Try practicing some CP3/CA3 exam questions in your spare time before posting on here.

I am sure some of the tutors on here would love to help you.

Perhaps even Mr ProudActuary might assist if you asked politely.

ProudActuary likes this.
  8. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Being honest and upfront with your employer is critical. I'm sure many colleagues would be very surprised at the IFoA's stance.

Are you advocating pursuing legal action without advising your employer? That's incredible. You've advocated leaking things to the media, writing to MPs, the FRC, human rights organisations but keep it quiet from your employer? Just a bit silly, really.

Anyway, I fear we are drifting away from the very important issue of trying to support and help students affected by the IFoA's plagiarism allegations.

ForensicActuary has articulated points very well in regard to questions you had about my posts. I don't intend to add anything further.

VictorC_Lndn and ForensicActuary like this.
  9. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I agree with this but those concerned might want to start small by bringing it up with friendly colleagues before going to someone more senior.

NJ1600 and ForensicActuary like this.
  10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Completely agree - I think I'd mentioned in an earlier post that students should speak to colleagues they trust etc as a first step but I think failing to disclose details to employer could cause problems further down the line. Particularly so if they ask about the student's exam results.

mavvj and ForensicActuary like this.
  11. almost_there

almost_there Member

Not at all, what a strange thing to say.

12. Nr-actuary

Nr-actuary Member

I agree with this to some extent, however I would strongly suggest taking independent legal advice because you could get timed out if you delay.

It is also important to work out the type of claim to make and the correct court to lodge the claim in.

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

Would you say that natural justice and human rights include a right to a fair hearing or process for defending yourself which includes a right to know the adverse evidence and the case to be met?

NJ1600 likes this.
  14. almost_there

almost_there Member

Well why won't you explain to us since it is explicitly mentioned in the exam regulations and it would be helpful for people to fully understand its meaning, don't you think?

15. VictorC_Lndn

VictorC_Lndn Member

Any chance we can go back on topic? I'm sure the students impacted by this issue who are watching the thread would appreciate it.

16. NJ1600

NJ1600 Member

Any ideas on evidence that the ifoa would be looking for?

ForensicActuary and VictorC_Lndn like this.
  17. asp_act99

asp_act99 Member

Can anyone please respond to this. Asking for a friend who is worried that her grade would be F irrespective of the outcome of the investigation.

NJ1600 likes this.
  18. NJ1600

NJ1600 Member

Mine says “held” and grade: H

19. NJ1600

NJ1600 Member

This post bought a smile to my face, honestly.

20. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

Though employers probably know already as many had arrangements to receive results directly from the institute. We had to sign something to agree to this at our place.

NJ1600 likes this.
  21. Nr-actuary

Nr-actuary Member

What you can do is send in a witness statement such as the one pasted below.

Your witness statement stands as your evidence. If they wish to challenge it, they can question you on its contents. If they choose not to do so, then the disputed facts (you copied from the notes), must be resolved in your favour. That is to say that they must accept that you produced the bookwork answers from memory and did not copy from other source whatsoever.

Sample Witness Statement

I, (Full name: Mr. John Smith xxx), (ARNxxx) am providing this witness statement to stand as evidence in respect of the alleged improper conduct during the (subject xxx) examination on (date) as stated in the letter of (date).

The Institute & Faculty of Actuaries can question me on the contents of this witness statement if they wish.

Bookwork Answers (if applicable)

The answers I produced in the exam script were recalled from memory during the exam.

I did not copy any of the answers from any other source whatsoever, including Core reading, Acted notes or past exam papers

Collusion (if applicable)

I did not collude with anyone during the examination.

I did not receive any assistance whatsoever, from anyone, during the examination.

This statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signed:

Date:

Send a direct message if interested

almost_there likes this.