Investigation into possible plagiarism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Peter90, Jul 19, 2020.

1. almost_there

almost_there Member

Unless IFoA has committed itself to this on paper in an unambiguous fashion, no one should assume such a thing or take up your advice, is my advice.

2. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

What would the IFoA commit to? I'm a little lost what you mean here to be honest.

3. Sindy

Sindy Keen member

I keep calling and being fwded to voicemail :( has anyone had a call yet?

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Until IFoA admit this and apologise unreservedly in writing, it's rather irresponsible for you to suggest people can assume this will get accepted as a mitigating circumstance.

5. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

I think it is meant as a suggestion and a possible constructive action to take rather than a biblical statement from god.

VictorC_Lndn and ProudActuary like this.
  6. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

Sorry to hear that, there was a post saying they were able to book by ringing. I’d say just keep trying and hopefully all will come good.

Sindy likes this.
  7. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's not really. People would find out it doesn't work when it's too late and having spent much time, money and effort on a failed exam sitting. Irresponsible advice.

8. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

That’s making the presumption that everyone will be just a few marks below the pass mark. Please try to offer constructive advice like Proud instead of finding issue with anything said here, it’s quite annoying for someone who is actually sitting exams.

VictorC_Lndn likes this.
  9. almost_there

almost_there Member

OK then, people can follow "proud" and find out the hard way the near fail won't be turned into a pass by blaming IFoA on the mitigating circumstances form.

10. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

Or they don’t send it in and end up in the same boat anyway?

ProudActuary likes this.
  11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

What would your advice be to these affected people?

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's already been given, Proud. Don't gamble on an exam sitting underprepared with a false belief IFoA will take the blame for your fail. There's no good reason IFoA can confirm they take the blame now rather than in a few months time when they've banked your exam fee.

14. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

So your advice to such candidates would just be to not attempt the exam?

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

No my advice is get IFoA to commit to paper before parting with your exam fee whether they will honour their mitigation circumstances form that blames IFoA and if so to what extent. Then decide from there.

16. Sindy

Sindy Keen member

With 3 weeks left until exams, plus given how long IFOA (with all due respect) has taken to deal with everything this year and how unbothered they are for putting us in this position, I don't think they would be able to provide detailed guidance to us regarding mitigating circumstances lol. If we wait until they release a statement re. whether or not they would honour the mitigated circumstances, it would probably mean missing the exams in September. Maybe the best thing for us to do is just buckle down and do the best we can in in the next 3 weeks :(

VictorC_Lndn, ProudActuary and Admin like this.
  17. almost_there

almost_there Member

Well Sindy clearly the preparations have been adversely affected and my point is that IFoA will not admit or take any responsibility contrary to the suggestions made by Proud actuary.

18. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

I can’t imagine the additional strain this must have put on you and others. If you do feel this has impacted your performance in the upcoming exams and you are going to sit them regardless, I would consider submitting the form.

Sindy and ProudActuary like this.
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

They'll be sitting the exam at a clear disadvantage with no guarantee of an adjustment from filling that form...

20. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

I’m not responsible for their decision. But if they choose to sit the exam I think it would be worthwhile considering to fill in the form, seeing as how they will be getting results either way. I don’t understand the flag or issue here? Either don’t sit the exam, or sit the exam.

Going to stop posting replies, as I’ve already made my position on unnecessary posting felt

VictorC_Lndn and ProudActuary like this.
  21. I agree. There are some people that post things on here about our professiom but don't have any proof to back up their grievances.

ProudActuary likes this.