Study plan

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Stmatthias, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Stmatthias

Stmatthias Made first post

Hi all,

I'm, like someone in another thread, starting the actuarial journey later in my career after working in several different jobs and now find myself in a 2nd like team reviewing actuarial models. My employer has agreed to put me through the actuarial exams and has said they want me to do CM1 next April.
    I know I have a lot of time beforehand but I'm trying to put together a study plan such that I can use that to get a head start on the maths and concepts before ACTed published the CMP in Sep/Oct, and then use a similar style of plan going forward. Tbh I'm just not sure where to start with that.
    How have you guys approached making a plan? Do you use some kind of template, or use excel, or just go with whatever feels right?

2. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

My study plans were always blast through the notes as quickly as possible and then do past papers constantly until the exam.

Stmatthias and Noreen like this.
  3. Noreen

Noreen Keen member

This is the most important piece of advice in my opinion.

I try to have a rough plan on Excel for what will happen each week.

Stmatthias likes this.
  4. Neil

Neil Made first post

Hi, I've been doing the exams for a few years now without much progress. I think where I've been going wrong is obsessing over learning the minutiae in the notes and then leaving very little time for past papers.

Especially now that the exams are open-book I'm keen to change my approach for the next session. Do you guys tend to just read through the notes for a chapter say and then try problems on that chapter, doing that until you have been through all the notes, and then saving the most recent past papers for nearer the exam?

Apologies for the lengthy post, but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. Noreen

Noreen Keen member

I don't know if this is advised but what works for me is to go to the exam papers as soon as I have any kind of basic idea what's going on, far from mastered the topic.

I find the revision booklets great for loads of exam questions on one topic together. The first few questions attempted will be painful, I will get quite a lot wrong but it should quickly get a lot better.

I think it's about diving into real questions as early as you can, not waiting until you feel very well equipped to deal with them.

This is more for the mathematical ones. For the theoretical open book ones it's a lot about organising notes and a strategy for how you will find what you need quickly

MJK23 likes this.
  6. Neil

Neil Made first post

Great.

Thanks Noreen

Noreen likes this.