ST4 Extra Reading

Discussion in 'SP4' started by Irn Bru 4 Hangovers, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Hi there,

To what extent has anyone worked through the additional reading (other than GN26)?

At one of this summer's tutorials, the Acted tutor suggested that much of the reading list was background interest that might help with certain topics but that we shouldn't get too carried away going through it as it isn't directly examinable (so past papers etc are the way forward).

However, she did recommed that the following papers may be particularly worth a look as a change from reading the course notes (perhaps on the train etc).

• The one on Continuing Care Retirement Communities by Humble and Ryan, and;
    • The one on market values and discount rates, by Simon Head.

I've downloaded a copy of the CCRC one, and it is quite interesting as it discusses all the assumptions you need to model it as a muliple state model, as well as discussing general background into CCRCs and how they might work in the UK. (The paper does get a bit heavier later on so I skipped that bit!)

However, can't find the Head paper for love nor money on the Institute site. Has anyone else had better luck, and if so, is is worth a look?

Also, if anyone else found the extra reading particularly helpful, then please comment. Otherwise, I intend to put it fairly well down my list of things to do at the moment. (Possibly somewhere between faffing around organising my revision notes and finally sending out that batch of tedious transfer values that is sat on my desk!)

Good luck all!

Irn Bru

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  2. I've got the Head paper now thanks! (Quite a good read- you have to browse through the sessional papers section of the on-line library; searching doesn't work).

The paper seems quite a useful read (relatively speaking, of course!)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007