Should I take the CT9?

Discussion in 'CT9' started by andrie, Feb 15, 2012.

1. andrie

andrie Member

Hi everyone.I am an MSc graduate and I have been exempted from the CT1-CT8. I am thinking of taking the CT9 but I have no work experience and I am currently unemployed and I am wondering if that is having a negative impact on the exam. Thanks.

2. bystander

bystander Member

Here is something from the actuaries website:

It is recommended that you take this exam within 15 to 18 months of joining the profession, assuming that you have the necessary work experience.

So it looks like without experience they won't let you. It would be expensive too for you as its residential.

It would be better I think to focus on getting a job and if you get to interview you can mention that you have researched it. Have you had any feedback from job applications? I know you haven;t asked that but don't neglect this.

Don't know where you live but going along to SIAS or local actuarial meetings will show ongoing interest to help you. Brush up on general office skills and don't underestimate how things like team skills are really important. If needs be, consider spending money on communication skills courses or other soft skills. And any other work skills you've picked up will matter.

3. andrie

andrie Member

Thanks for your post.I live in Cyprus but I have applied to many companies in UK getting negative responses by so far. However I have been advised by some actuaries to get some exams until I get a job.

4. bystander

bystander Member

You are in a really difficult position.

You have said you already have exemptions from all the exam based CT courses.

The problem is the more exams you have via exemptions the bigger imbalance you have between theoretical knowledge and practical application skills. If you set a salary goal at the level of your theoretical knowledge companies won't be interested. So personally I don't think getting more exams will help - it could make things worse!

So look at how you are applying. Make sure they know you are prepared to start low on salary until your practical experience and exam knowledge get into line.

I'd talk to some recruitment agencies about the best way forward for you. Even if you can get temporary work in Financial services (outside actuarial) in Cyprus you may start to look a more attractive proposition. At least that way you can prove team working ability, industry knowledge and get practical use of microsoft Office skills.

Good luck - it won't be easy and you'll have to persist but it can pay off.

5. andrie

andrie Member

Thanks for the advice and the information!They are really helpful!:)