CM1 Specimen Paper

Discussion in 'CM1' started by Lauren, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Lauren

Lauren Keen member

Hi there,

I have heard the mention of a CM1 specimen paper a few times but I am unable to find anything on the IFoA's website. I can see an example document setting out typed answers to a few questions but no full specimen paper as such.

Does anyone know if an official specimen paper exists and if so where to find it?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

Yes - there was a CM1 specimen paper produced as part of the transition to the new exam structure. For Paper A, this basically included questions selected from past CT1/CT5 exam papers. For Paper B, it was a newly written paper (as there were no past Excel questions).

These are no longer on the IFoA's website. I understand there is a possibility that they may be reinstated, but that is something we at ActEd cannot control - it's the IFoA who publish it.

I'd suggest keeping a look out on the IFoA's website over the next week or so. Historically, the CM1 specimen paper was on this page:

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/curriculum/actuarial-mathematics

If it does reappear, though, I cannot say it will be on this page - it might appear somewhere else. If you find it - let us all know, and I'll do likewise!

3. kr12

kr12 Member

4. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

Unless I'm mistaken, the 'specimen' there is the example document that shows how to present some answers in Word, as Lauren mentions. This is useful to see the type of working that is appropriate to show in the online exams.

It's not the full specimen paper that was produced before the first sitting of CM1 (in April 2019).