Ceasing membership

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by capitalH, Oct 26, 2009.

1. capitalH

capitalH Member

I am currently a member of ASSA as well as the FoA.

I am considering ceasing my membership to FoA, because of the 2010 developments.

Is anyone else in the same boat? What are you going to do?

I do not see any benefit of remaining with FoA, as we cannot earn the FoA status after 2010, except for having access to the Actuarial Directory (which can be a curse more than a blessing...).

2. Sid Dagore

Sid Dagore Member

I'm also in the same boat.
    I don't really have any interest in dealing with assa, and I cant see any benefit in having a South African qualification if I could have had an English one!

What I'd really like to know is what will happen if I drop my assa membership :p

3. I have attempted CA1, ST1 and ST2 but have failed them a few times. I am undecided about writing the South African exams as I wouldn't want to study a new subject from scratch. Will the UK exams still be offered here in South Africa?

4. Goku

Goku Member

Well, I'm a member of the Institute, and will continue writing my boards through them. If my company permits, then I'll continue my membership with ASSA as well - which at the moment I have very little regard for, since they always leave me out of their correspondance emails/newsletters depsite always paying my fees on time!!! Muppets!

Also, our company's exam remuneration policy is based on the UK system. So I'll just be complicating things if I decide to write the SA exams ;)

5. Goku

Goku Member

Yeah, they should still be offered. I think assa.org.za will have all the FAQ's on this subject though.

What really irks me now is that actuarial exams will no longer be held in Durban which is where I work. I'll have to go to JHB to write them - and ofcourse I'll have to fly up the "night" before the exam, which is when I get a large amount of work consolidated!

6. capitalH

capitalH Member

Maybe I should consider sitting the UK exams as well, since I want to do ST9 in any case (currently outside the scope of the SA offering).

7. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

I think a wait and see attitude is good. Defer the decision for a year and see how it plays out over the year. There are a number of questions still to be answered. Anyone have an idea how the employers are viewing this?