Advice needed on resitting for a third time...

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by steph, Jul 21, 2009.

1. steph

steph Member

I'm studying CT6 for the third time for the September sitting. First time I was confident and had no idea why I failed it... got an FA. This time round had a really bad exam day and got really stressed out... FB.

Has anyone got any advice on how I should study it this time around? I've done all past papers (At least once), I've gone through the notes loads of times and I've done the series X and Y assignments. I just don't know what to do now? Any ideas on how should tackle it?

:confused:

2. Have you thought about taking the exam counselling?

3. Kail

Kail Member

Stay strong

Is all I can say I'm afraid. You'll pass other subjects the first time around but most people get stuck on the odd one here and there.

I wouldn't look at my notes again - I would just do exam papers up till the exam.

4. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Acted Y assignments plus mock exam

5. learner

learner Member

If you have already passed CT4 and CT8, you could focus on examination technique, and do lots of practice questions.

If you have not begun to study CT4 and CT8 yet, you could consider doing this to gain more experience of statistical analysis, which would then help with CT6.

6. capitalH

capitalH Member

Also consider practicing under pure exam conditions (allowing yourself only 3 continuous hours for the exam). Having a bad exam due due to nerves could be:

1. Due to not adequately preparing (which it does not sound like you did) - making you nervous
    2. Not used to exam conditions. For example for my 1st sitting I did not write any exam for 4 years - it took a lot of practice to get used to exam conditions again.
    3. Natural fear of exams. Again I believe this is unlikely in your case as you did not have the same nerves in your first sitting.

Have you had similar experience with other subjects?

7. bystander

bystander Member

I don't think what you do matters...more how you approach it.

What I mean is that you still need to study actively not passively. So the idea of actually doing papers/questions under full exam conditions is a good one.

You are right that the assignments don't change from April to Sep so getting fresh material could be difficult.

What hasn't been said, is its not always how you perform, but your performance relative to others. Maybe you would benefit from going on a block revision course? I thinl this would be better than regular because at the block stage everyone should have gone through the course and should be at the same learning position.

The other consideration is do you want to do this one immediately or take a break. If you have already started another and its going well consider staying with that. That way you should get fresh questions if you take assignments out.

My only other suggestion is use the QA bank if you didn't before.

Whatever you do, go into the exam feeling confident and not bitter about past results. Treat it with respect and as a new chapter.

Best wishes