Where are the exams marked for Australian students?

Discussion in 'Other countries' started by MissAussie, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Have always wondered where the exams (I'm doing CT5) are marked for Australian students. Are they mailed back to the UK for marking or just marked locally?

Sometimes I write figures in dollar ($) amounts instead of pounds (which is not our usual currency), and in general I know my writing can be fairly focused on the Australian market. Would I be disadvantaged if the paper was marked in the UK?

2. jensen

jensen Member

I think the currency you choose to include in your answers have no bearing to whether you pass or fail, unless it's a numerical question and it specifically says £ and you put in Indian rupees.

3. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Well it's funny you mention that, I was wondering the exact same thing! Back in my University days I took an exam and strangely enough I had a mental lapse, and happened to quote a numerical answer in Indian rupees, when it should have been in Pesos. I actually ended up getting 49 for that subject. I went to my professor (The great professor John Kingston) and he refused to award me the additional 2 marks I lost for my mistake. That mistake cost me 1 whole year and lots of heartache. JK (lecturer) and I now have a personal joke, you see I usually ask him if he "Got any pesos" and then he usually replies no, only 2 Rupe and I shake my head in disgust then we both have a good laugh.

4. jensen

jensen Member

Oh no! Devon, that is terrible. You mean you failed because of 2 rupees?

Perhaps we could convert the currencies into local currencies of choice, work the entire question in the selected currency but state specifically the conversion used, then report all answers that way. This could ultimately save us time in having to think of which currency to use in the exam.

5. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Jensen that is an outstanding idea! Perhaps we could enlist a forex broker to place live displays of exchange rates for every currency at every exam center so we can put an end to this great confusion.

6. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Wow..... what a story re: the rupees/pesos!

I'm not that worried about the currency, more so the Australian-isms that I might use. eg. Australian stocks, the way certain companies/insurance schemes are run, etc.

I'm probably most concerned about CT2 when I start this for the October sitting. I had a read of the notes and they've got stuff in them like "Clearing house" and a whole lot of british-isms. If I accidentally referred to the ASX (our stock market) in the exam, would the examiner not have a clue what I mean??

Luckily for this exam (life insurance, CT5) it shouldn't matter so much.

7. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

What are you talking about? The terms in CT2 are fairly universal. What do you think CHESS stands for? The only things that are not are some laws that are refered to. Eg the CGT system is very different in Australia, so if you want the marks you will need to learn what is in the core reading. You do not need to make any references to specific companies so I do not see how this is of any problem. It would probably be best focus on the specific material rather than irrelevancies. Do you think the people who will be marking your paper are some ignoramuses who have never marked an exam with literature referring to countries other than in the UK? More people actually sit these exams from outside the UK than in the UK.

8. jensen

jensen Member

The point is to keep it simple. Leaving references like "ASX" will only put yourself at risk if the examiner is unfamiliar with stock exchanges in other countries. Putting "stock exchange" would suffice.

9. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Thanks all. DevonMatthews, sorry, I didn't intend to cause any offence. I'm sure the examiners are more than capable of marking my ramblings, but I will certainly endeavour to make their job easier rather than harder.

Cheers!

10. jensen

jensen Member

No worries, Miss Aussie.

Just remember not to do it again. :)

Cheers!

11. didster

didster Member

I also have to catch myself to write £ instead of $.
    Papers are marked in the UK, and answering questions in terms of the Australian market is bad for two reasons (at least for the later exams)
    • A common problem is students confining themselves to the specifics of the UK market for generalised subjects. You can imagine that confining yourself to a specfic market other than the UK is worse.
    • Some exams require a UK focus eg the fellowship papers and ST5 also has a UK focus (as UK is major international market)
    So it's a habit you want to kick from early.

12. slatfats

slatfats Member

The exams are marked worldwide - my former manager in New Zealand was a marker for a while.

Do get used to writing £'s instead of $'s.

Yes, the CT's are the same in the UK or Aus, but when you get to the CA's, ST's or SA's you have to remember that these are the UK exams, not the Australian ones!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  13. danish00

danish00 Member

To take admission in UK collage

I want to take admission in UK collage. Has anybody suggest me regarding this.
    camp kanatal