1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of Excel in scripts

Discussion in 'CM1' started by zubbo, Sep 12, 2020.

1. zubbo

zubbo Keen member

Hi,
    Quick question for the tutors and writers- how is everyone adopting to electronically typing in Paper A? I find myself writing out the answer long hand, then typing, which takes a lot of work and duplicates the work.

An alternative approach I started using is with MS Excel, i.e. using Excel as I'm going through the question and pasting into the word file. I keeping the intermediary values in Excel to show the step by step calculations however I do not write the actual formulas e.g. "A3*B4". I'm curious to know other ppls approach and suggested advice on how best to practice for the exam.

I was using my previous approach rather confidently and got my mock exam scripts marked in that fashion (without penalisation) however the new FAQs on Sept 3rd have me concerned, specifically the following line from Can I use Excel to help construct my answers?
    "Calculations that are copied and pasted from Excel (or any other application) into your Word answer script will receive zero marks."

Thanks,
    Z

2. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

It's fine to use Excel instead of a calculator and then transfer the numerical results into your script (in Word). It sounds to me like that's what you're doing here? As I understand it, what the examiners don't want you doing is fully constructing your answers in Excel and then pasting it into Word. I expect that any questions requiring lots of use of Excel will be saved for Paper B anyway!

It is important to show working in your script in order to pick up method marks. These workings will probably be a combination of numbers and typed notation - it'll depend on the question and your personal preference. While I agree that it's inefficient to completely hand write your answer and then type it up, you might find it helps to jot a few things down on scrap paper to help you construct any typed notation you do want to use during the exam.

I'd recommend having a look at the CM1 specimen questions and solutions, which are available on the essential documents page (along with the specimen notation sheet, which is also quite useful). That should give you an idea of the level of workings the examiners are likely to want and how they're expecting them to look.

3. Saksham Mehta

Saksham Mehta Member

In the FAQ section of IFOA,
    I am concerned about one line that is, "Calculations that are copied and pasted from Excel (or any other application) into your Word answer script will receive zero marks." So when i will copy my intermediate calculation fron word to the formula bar of excel then paste the final answer from excel to word. So will it give me marks or i will be getting zero marks for copy pasting from m excel
    I am very confused in this line of FAQ about the copy and pasting of intermediate calculations into word...

4. Lucy England

Lucy England Member

I agree it is confusing! Unfortunately, ActEd doesn't really get any extra info over and above what you can see on the FAQs etc, so I would recommend getting in touch with the IFoA where you're not sure. If they have enough confused students emailing in then they might post a clarification!

As I understand things at the moment, it's OK to use Excel to replace your calculator in the exam and the safest thing is to stick with this approach, ie don’t rely on Excel any more than this. Setting up big calculations using Excel and simply pasting a screenshot or table of results into Word would prevent any of your workings being shown and so I think this is what they want to rule out. However, I don't see how there could be an issue with using Excel to perform a calculation for you, the numerical result of which you give in your script in Word.

5. Han

Han Keen member

Hi Lucy,

Apart from using Excel for calculations, are we allowed to copy and paste equations into an online calculator? For example, if I type out this equation in equation editor
    [​IMG], can I copy and paste this directly into a calculator I found on the internet? I ask because most of my calculations are done in equation and editor and pasting this into excel does not work.

Thanks!

6. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,

I can't see any rules against this in the examinations handbook. From what I can see you are allowed to use other software as a calculator and I presume this would include online calculators.

However, i'd recommend keeping up to date with any updates to the examinations handbook over the coming months.

Joe