1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Unclear question

Discussion in 'SA5' started by jonathans, Mar 15, 2017.

1. jonathans

jonathans Member

April 2013 Question 1.9

How do I know if theu mean the real economic situation in france at the moment or a hypothetical question on how the economic situation would affect the deal?

What's the best strategy to deal with unclear questions? (which SA5 tends to have a lot of compared to other exams..:/)

upload_2017-3-15_18-16-44.png

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, This was indeed an unusual SA5 question. The examiner awarded marks for knowledge about the real situation in France at the time. I cannot think of another SA5 question that has done that, as it seems to favour those living in Europe who might have more knowledge about that. I suspect marks would have been awarded quite flexibly here if candidates gave any information, real or supposed, that may have affected a foreign corporate action.

In terms of dealing with unclear questions, I am not sure I have a great strategy. Keep reading the question until you feel you have all the possible meanings that the examiner might have been trying to convey, and then tackle all of them to a lesser extent.

jonathans likes this.
  3. almost_there

almost_there Member

I wonder how this question could have been fair and in accordance with the exam's syllabus, when SA exams are meant to be testing candidates on a UK context...