1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Static & Dynamic Solvency Testing

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Syst_Analyst, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Syst_Analyst

Syst_Analyst Member

I'm Chapter 15 it talks about projecting solvency and dynamic vs static solvency testing.

Simple question:

Can a static solvency test be done on an ongoing basis? i.e. Allowing for new business plans.

I know that a static solvency test is just a determination of solvency at a particular point in time. So if that time happens to be in the future I would assume it makes sense to factor in potential new business too? The reason I ask is because I would have thought projecting on an ongoing basic fits more naturally with a dynamic solvency test.

Thanks

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - when the Core Reading talks about a 'static solvency test' I think that it is mainly referring to an assessment of current solvency.

Having said that, I agree that if a company is doing a projection of its future solvency position, it makes sense for that to include allowance for the new business that it expects to write within the projection period. (But it could depend on the purpose of the projection.)