1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting SP2

Discussion in 'SP2' started by shdh, Apr 23, 2020.

1. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Hi all,

I am planning on starting SP2 now for September diet. I was hoping to get some tips and guidelines from those who have already cleared it, and those who are planning on attempting it in April.

How should I plan my study and how should i proceed withmy studies for the paper?

Any help would be highly appreciated!!

Regards,
    Shdh

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Shdh

Studying for SP2 is no different than any other subject in that you need to learn the material and develop your exam technique.

However, unlike the numerical CM and CS subjects, SP2 is very much a wordy subject. Although occasionally a numerical question comes up in SP2, the majority of questions will require you to explain a concept or describe how it can be applied to a new situation. So exam technique involves the need to analyse what a question is asking for, generating ideas to answer it, and writing the ideas up efficiently as concise bullet points. If you have already attempted another wordy subject such as CP1, then this approach will hopefully be familiar.

So to tackle SP2 I would do a variety of things to help learn the bookwork and develop my exam technique. I'd start by trying to get through the course notes in good time to allow plenty of revision time. While going through the course notes I'd attempt the assignments to build up my exam technique and get feedback.

Then in the revision time I'd try to consolidate that learning so that I had good recall of the bookwork, perhaps using flashcards for example. I'd continue to develop my exam technique by doing as many past exam questions as possible. ASET can be used to explain the exam technique needed in each question.

These are my thought as a tutor, but i would be great to hear from both current and past students as to what worked best for them.

Good luck with your studies

Mark

shdh likes this.