1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

ST8 - IAI question paper 05/2015

Discussion in 'SP8' started by din sha, Nov 3, 2019.

1. din sha

din sha Member

Q8. Part I
    I got confused on seeing the question based on buhlman straub credibility theory.
    I am unable to link it with clarity, how this question refers to buhlman straub credibility model. Could some one help - why E(var(theta)) is taken as 0.2 whereas var(Xi) used to derive other value ? Apologies for inconvenience , here is original question and solution.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2019
  2. din sha

din sha Member

Q8. Part I
    I got confused on seeing the question based on buhlman straub credibility theory.
    I am unable to link it with clarity, how this question refers to buhlman straub credibility model. Could some one help - why E(var(theta)) is taken as 0.2 whereas var(Xi) used to derive other value ?
    This is my first post and I don't know how to add attachments while in edit mode. Please see attached solution and original question Screenshot_20191108-105337~2.png Screenshot_20191108-104939~2.png tion

3. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Din Sha,
    You're told to do this in the question: "Find estimates for E(Var(theta)) and Var(mu(theta)) based on the sample mean and sample variance from the sample data." So E(var(theta)) = sample mean = 0.2, and Var(mu(theta)) = sample variance = 0.25.

Don't worry, this looks nothing like the Buhlmann Straub model. In fact I think the whole question is very odd. I think this must be a mistake on the examiners' part.

4. din sha

din sha Member

Thanks Katherine,
    I am unable to understand if - "So E(var(theta)) = sample mean = 0.2, andVar(mu(theta)) = sample variance = 0.25". Then why in the solution it's trying to get sample variance.

5. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Honestly Din Sha, there's no point trying to understand the solution here. The whole question looks very wrong.