ST5 April 2015 - Question 7 - Strategy B

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Ciaran Breen, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Ciaran Breen

Ciaran Breen Member

Just want to confirm for my own sanity...

I'm looking at this question in the past papers available on the Institute's website and can't understand how the solution in the examiner's report is arrived at.

I'm assuming that there is a typo or mistake in the question paper that the institute have published. Is that correct? There's no way a call at 5100 would be cheaper than a call at a higher strike price.

2. Ciaran Breen

Ciaran Breen Member

I can't understand how they arrive at a portfolio value of -£2 when the index is below 5100. Based on what is in the paper, it looks like none of the options would be exercised and the only cashflows would be the option premiums. 2 options are sold for a total of £9 and 2 options are bought for a total of £6. So I'm calculating that the portfolio value when the index is below 5100 is £3.

3. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In our ASET, we state that this question was potentially problematic. Option profit diagrams do not come up too frequently in Subject ST5, and when they do, they tend to be relatively simple. These two, however, were really tricky ones. The way the information was presented in the actual exam made this question rather difficult to understand. Oddly, the second option position gave a profit under all scenarios.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

I wonder what happened to those who stated that in their answer...? Did they lose marks compared to those who just blindly went along with the information in the question? If so, how is this consistent with the actuaries code i.e. are actuaries supposed to unquestioningly go along with a bogus situation they've been presented with, or are we meant to point out the flaw and take it from there?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  5. 58716

58716 Member

Is there anywhere that the IFOA acknowledge this error?
    I spent 15 minutes doing the question (correctly to my knowledge and other actuaries in my office) and spent about an hour wondering why I can't match the Examiner's report. I actually thought it was simple enough, ignoring the silliness of the option premiums.
    Surely they should recognise this error and update the examiner's report?

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's at moments like this we can observe how IFoA respond and make an assessment whether they are motivated by educational integrity or simply a desire to limit liability.

58716 likes this.