1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Specific references

Discussion in 'SA6' started by DA Taylor, Jun 29, 2014.

1. DA Taylor

DA Taylor Member

I note that the core reading in SA6 refers to an "active quantitative" strategy (index vs active investing in chapter 13). I assume this is the same as "smart beta" strategies?

If so, and even just in general, would the examiners accept our answers if we use different terms for things than what is used in the core reading?

I have noted this for some other terms as well and am a bit concerned about having to make sure that I use the core reading terms instead of the more widely-used terms in the market.

Thanks!

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Sorry about the late reply. I didnt spot the post (we dont get nearly enough posting in SA6!!)

I note that the core reading in SA6 refers to an "active quantitative" strategy (index vs active investing in chapter 13). I assume this is the same as "smart beta" strategies?

Yes - I think these terms are used interchangeably. In fact "smart beta" is one of these loose terms that people use for almost any passive / tilted strategy that aims to slightly better passive returns, but without the need for employing an active manager.

If so, and even just in general, would the examiners accept our answers if we use different terms for things than what is used in the core reading?

My feeling is that the examiners are quite clued-up in this subject and have a fair amount of freedom for awarding marks. They will know when different terms mean the same, and will award marks wherever possible.

I have noted this for some other terms as well and am a bit concerned about having to make sure that I use the core reading terms instead of the more widely-used terms in the market.

Thanks!