1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

SP7 - Covid 19 - New Mock Exam in line with the Online Exam Version?

Discussion in 'SP7' started by Qayanaat, Mar 31, 2020.

?

Demand for New Mock Exam Paper to be more in line with what would be asked in the Online setting

1. Yes, I would be interested

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No, I'm not interested

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Hi All,

As it will now be an open book exam, I'm guessing there would be less bookwork/stating definitions type questions.
    Just wanted to check with students to see if there's a demand for a new mock exam to be made available to reflect the types of questions that would be more likely to be asked in the online exam? Please respond by taking the poll.

Question to tutors/ActEd: Do you think such a mock paper could be made available please, subject to sufficient demand of course?

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Every exam has a mixture of questions testing bookwork, application and higher order skills. Given the timescales involved we are not expecting any significant change in the format of the SP7 exam to that seen in previous sittings. Hence, we think that the existing past papers and ActEd Mock Exams will be a good representation of what you might expect to see in April. We recommend that you continue your revision by attempting as many questions as you can, albeit using MS Word instead of pen and paper. You may think that effectively making an exam open book will increase everyone’s mark, but given that most bookwork questions are answered very well by well-prepared candidates, we don’t envisage it making as much difference to performance as some might think. We believe that, as with previous exams, knowledge of bookwork alone will not enable a candidate to reach the pass mark. A good understanding of the concepts covered and the ability to apply them to different scenarios is still likely to be important to an individual’s chances of success.

We appreciate your desire for a new mock exam but given our comments above we do not think it is necessary. In any event, unfortunately we do not have the capacity to produce anything new in the timescales required.

buddingactuary and Qayanaat like this.
  3. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Okay thanks Darren for clarifying.

Do you know if we'll be able to use Excel for calculation questions? Even if we can use it, does that mean we need to re-write the answers on the word document that we'll submit or would it possible to submit a word doc & an Excel doc? Thank you.

Michal Piatra likes this.
  4. Darren Michaels

Hi Qayanaat

We think it is likely that your SP7 exam script will need to be submitted in Word and the IFoA state that you are only able to submit your scripts in the format specified. Hence, if that is the case you wont be able to submit an Excel file as well or even link to another file.

What isn't clear is whether or not you can use Excel to do your calculations and then retype and/or cut and paste your calculations/answers across to your word file that you intend to submit.

Perhaps it is worth you clarifying that with the IFoA and then posting their response here so that everyone else knows too?

Qayanaat likes this.
  5. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Perfect, I'll do that. Thanks a lot.

6. Darren Michaels

The IFoA have added some new material on some of these topics on their FAQ page today - see:

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/exam-bookings/exam-dates-2020/exams-faqs

In particular the sections on "Will I have to study new material for the online examinations?" and "I have seen on social media that these examinations may be ‘open-book’. What are the materials that I will be able to use during your online examinations?".

They have also confirmed that SP7 will need to be submitted in Word.

7. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Thanks Darren,

The question about whether the use of Excel to do calculations and then retype and/or cut and paste calculations/answers across to the word file, remains. Hopefully the IFOA gets back on this soon.

What's also unclear is, they said "copying and pasting content from any of these materials is prohibited". For SP7, we had to learn a good few glossary terms. What does that mean then? Will stating definitions be marked as plagiarism?

Not only that, the likes of advantages of this method vs that method, stating assumptions etc., have been popular exam questions in the past. They are bookworky & mostly learnt by heart/memorised. So even if we don't refer to our notes, the tendency will be to write them as learnt & hence similar, if not exactly same, to what's in the notes. Again, what does that mean? Will that be looked as plagiarism?

"I have seen on social media that these examinations may be ‘open-book’. What are the materials that I will be able to use during your online examinations?
    Updated 03 April 2020

We recognise that you will have materials provided to you during preparation for your examinations and access to online resources. Full details on which of these resources and devices you are entitled to use during our online examinations can be found in Section 7 of our Assessment Regulations (March 2020) and we specifically draw your attention to Sections 7c and 7d.

For the avoidance of doubt, copying and pasting content from any of these materials is prohibited. So too is collusion with other candidates, tutors and third parties including family members.

All answer scripts will be subject to checks for originality.

All candidates are also reminded of their own professional ethical obligation under the Actuaries’ Code, or as applicable, to uphold these Regulations."

8. Darren Michaels

Again these are really questions for the IFoA. However, I expect that many well-prepared students learn Glossary definitions and similar bookwork lists (almost) verbatim and it would be very harsh to conclude that just because they had scored nearly full marks on a bookwork question that they must have cut and paste their answer from their study materials.

Our advice remains unchanged. We recommend that you continue to study for these exams in the same way as you have done up to now and continue to present your answers in the same way. However, we also recommend that you practise typing your answers in Word as opposed to writing them out by hand.

Qayanaat likes this.
  9. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Okay yes thanks Darren, hopefully the IFOA gets backs on this as well, I'll post it here if they do so everyone can see.

Darren Michaels likes this.
  10. Darren Michaels

The IFoA updated their FAQ page yesterday and have now answered the Excel question:

"Can I use Excel to help construct my answers?
    Updated 07 April 2020

It is important that you upload your examination scripts in Microsoft Word only - with the exception of CP2. However you may find it useful to use Microsoft Excel to aid with the construction of your answers. If you do this you must copy and paste any Excel content into your final submitted Word document."

buddingactuary and Qayanaat like this.
  11. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

oh that's brilliant, thanks Darren!

12. Jammy

Jammy Very Active Member

Hi Qayanaat,

Thanks for asking about the treatment of definitions and other types of answers that may be mis-identified as plagiarism. Do let us know if you get a response.

13. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Hi Jammy,

They said examiners will be familiar with situations like these.