SP5 and Sa7 together

Discussion in 'SA7' started by Ashwin Shrivastava, Dec 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ashwin Shrivastava

Ashwin Shrivastava Active Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on doing both exams together in the April 2021 attempts. I appeared for SP5 in September 2020 and got 57. I believe the course content is similar and can be studied together.

Please let me know what are your opinions.

Thanks and regards
    Ashwin

2. i-actuary

i-actuary Active Member

hi do you have the pass rate?

3. Ashwin Shrivastava

Not yet, that will be available in the examiners report which should be published on Monday.

4. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Doing SA7 and SP5 together is perfectly possible, particularly if you have covered the SP5 material (and numerical techniques, eg attribution, option pricing, VAR estimates, risk-adjusted calcs, ...) in detail in an earlier sitting. The SA7 material is different from the SP5 material and would need to be learned. It overlaps in places but there is about 50% to 70% of the course that is new. The SA7 exam examines topics that come up in SA7 but also topics that are covered more in SP5, so you need to know both subjects. So the question for you is whether you have the time to do the SA7 material during the study session, plus the past paper practice that is required for SA7, while also revising your SP5 material for a resit. If the answer is yes, then I see no problem.

5. Ashwin Shrivastava

Thanks so much Colin.