1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

September 2021 Q7(i)

Discussion in 'SP2' started by AKS01, Apr 17, 2022.

1. AKS01

AKS01 Very Active Member

Hi,

I'm struggling to understand the mark scheme for this question.

I understand that we need to show the dividends need to be V(0)(1+i'')-Sq''+E''(1+i'')-V(1)
    My understanding of this is that the surplus is the value of the contract with investment earned less the value of the contract on the valuation basis is the surplus that is paid as the dividend.

But why do we then replace the V(1) with (-V'(1) + (V'(1)-V(1))... I would never have thought to split this up in the exam so I was wondering if there was a part in the question that suggested doing this that I have missed.

Thanks

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

If it's an reassurance, I don't think you're missing anything in the question that 'suggests' doing this. Perhaps more a case of knowing the starting and ending expressions and using a common algebraic 'trick' perhaps to help us along the way between them.

All the very best for the SP2 exam
    Lynn